Well, that was a real disappointment - F&C's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We sometimes have F&C's on a Saturday, often SWMBO makes them at home, but she hadn't done it before and she is trying to perfect it over recent months. She uses fresh haddock, rather than the frozen that most of the chippies seem to use around here, about as far from the coast as you can get.

When at the coast, we have always had good F&C meals, so I offered to take us to the chippy - but at the coast and make a day of it, after a bit of research to find a chippy which would welcome dogs. The one I found claimed to have had Sir Terry Wogan, John Wayne and a host of other stars dine there over the years. What a real dive the place turned out to be, incredibly scruffy and the F&C's were a real disappointment, we both only ate half the meal, before giving up. The dog must have been hungry, for she finished of what was left.

Sponsored Links
We sometimes have F&C's on a Saturday, often SWMBO makes them at home, but she hadn't done it before and she is trying to perfect it over recent months. She uses fresh haddock, rather than the frozen that most of the chippies seem to use around here, about as far from the coast as you can get.

When at the coast, we have always had good F&C meals, so I offered to take us to the chippy - but at the coast and make a day of it, after a bit of research to find a chippy which would welcome dogs. The one I found claimed to have had Sir Terry Wogan, John Wayne and a host of other stars dine there over the years. What a real dive the place turned out to be, incredibly scruffy and the F&C's were a real disappointment, we both only ate half the meal, before giving up. The dog must have been hungry, for she finished of what was left.

Give it a bad review

The last fish and chips I had was like that. I queued for about 30 minutes, thinking, this must be a good one, there's a big queue!
Was bloody awful. Queue was because only one person working there!

If you ever find yourself in Lydd on the Kent coast, TK's Fish & Chips was a great when I went there in the summer

Sponsored Links
Go to Hull best f&c anywhere, only matched by the quality of the road out :D

Best F&C we have had recently, were at Whitby, overlooking the harbour, at a place called the Abbey Restaurant or something. A very commercial place, large, very busy, but the F&C were great - tea was horrible, but you can't have everything.

Equally good, was a pub restaurant we found years ago in St Davids, except the last time we dined their 7 years ago. They were horrible that time, my partner couldn't eat them, I couldn't eat them, my partner felt ill after them and one of the two dogs was ill after we gave them the left overs. I complained and they refunded in full - something about changing their batter used.

Can’t beat Fish 'n' chips at the Coast inn on Mersea. My absolute favourite.

8437FF57-CD9A-4858-9E4E-B4ACF4C9BA4D.jpeg

Best I've had was in Harry Ramsdens at Birchanger service station on the M11 at Bishop Stortford.
I think it's because they take the whole skin off whereas as places leave one side on.

Best I've had was in Harry Ramsdens at Birchanger service station on the M11 at Bishop Stortford.
I think it's because they take the whole skin off whereas as places leave one side on.

They used to have a terrific reputation when they were a family business in Guisely, as a place for the charabancs to call, but they grew and were bought out long ago - there quality F&C reputation declined in Yorkshire, the bigger they became.

One not too far away - F&C restaurant we went to a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed their offerings was Wetherby Whaler, at Wetherby. I used to regularly pass through Wetherby, on route to regular late evening breakdowns at Harrogate and if they were still open on my way home, I would pop in to collect a takeaway for supper.

Sponsored Links
Back