Welsh stone building V traditional brick cavity wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the most relevant section I am posting this question in.

I am going to buy a property in South Wales, probably Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire, Brecon, Pembrokeshire and usually go for a brick and block cavity wall and concrete tile type property.

There are a couple of properties I like the look of that are built with Welsh stone and slate roof.

Do any of you know if they are built with a cavity or a just 1 thick stone layer?

Are they harder to keep warm in the cold weather and are they susceptible to damp on the internal walls?

Sponsored Links
If the visible wall are made from random stone, then its normally "rock and rubble" construction. Inner and outer faces made from flat fronted stones, the void, being filled with rubble and dirt. Often "through" stones are used to hold the two skins together. The mortar will be lime based.
If the stones are dressed (i.e. square), then you might have a proper cavity. The thickness of a rock and rubble wall will be 18" (poor) to 24" (good).
They let water through , have poor insulation and vermin can wander through the massive (in places) cavity. I am not a fan of them, if they were any good we would still be using them!
Frank

Thanks for the reply.

OK, so a rock and rubble wall is to be avoided even if it is 24 inches thick because of the reasons you gave.

If the stones have been dressed it could be a cavity wall, is this just as good as a brick and block cavity wall?

How much do you like it.

Do you have any spare money if there are problems or you want to upgrade it's performance, with the latter can you externally rendar or is this heresy.

Personlly, I wouldnt consider any such property unless I had a spare pot of money and was willing to spend it if required.

Sponsored Links
I am out of the UK for a few weeks.

On my return I will be looking for my future home and have saved a number of properties in the counties I mentioned that I would like to view.

Some are of brick cavity wall construction.
It is not clear what some are built of as they have been rendered.
Some are obviously stone.

I could always ask the owner although some are empty/vacant.
I have no experience of living in stone buildings.

There will be some funds to buy carpets, curtains, paint like I always do, maybe a new bathroom but not for major works.

My cottage is 500 years old and has 2 foot thick rubble and mortar walls with practically no foundations. Over the centuries the walls have moved as their weight has compressed the soil under them. Being rubble and mortar they have accommodated this movement without cracking. The only result of this movement is that some beams and joists are not very level in places.

The mass of stone acts as a thermal store and keeps the cottage cool in hot weather and retains heat during the winter.

Provided the walls are reasonably vertical and there are no obvious cracks or gaps in the walls then there is no reason to discount buildings with rubble and mortar walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back