west london plumbers ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
are there any plumbing firms in the west london area that are willing to take on a mature adult to work with them for free to learn the trade? I have some knowledge/skills and am very enthusiastic and hard working. but need some on-site experience before being able to properley get a full-time job with a company whilst attending a college course part-time to get formal wualifications.

if anyone knows of any where i would be most grateful. even weekend / evening work would very great.

Sponsored Links
At least you realise that you will have to work for free in order to gain experience!

Much more information on your experience and courses would help anyone to decide if they could help you.

You could help me this week on Wednesday and Thursday from 10 am to 10 pm as long asyou do not smoke if that would help but that would be in North London!

Tony

Good question there should be more of these questions.

If I had a tardis I would get you to come an help me in Ealing and Acton.

Next London job is acney but might return to Ealing if I am desperate enough.

I would never have another cancer gambler either Tony.. It would be doing them a disservice to give them the misguided impression they are useful.

At least you realise that you will have to work for free in order to gain experience!

Much more information on your experience and courses would help anyone to decide if they could help you.

You could help me this week on Wednesday and Thursday from 10 am to 10 pm as long asyou do not smoke if that would help but that would be in North London!

Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:15 pm Post Subject:
MATURE ACS STUDENT NEEDING HELP

Hi there to you all
I have just completed my ACS practical training workshops and I am in need of finding an RGI to do my 35 appliances on job training with.I need to cover boilers,water heaters,fires and cookers.I live in the Portsmouth area of Hampshire, but I am willing to travel.Can anyone help?
Regards
glplumb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please can you explain why any local firm should give you the experience you need just so that you can become self employed and undercut/compete/steal customers ???

Tony

Did you have a change of heart or is someone else using your account behind your back.?

Sponsored Links
I've used a "lad" recently to
1) drill holes for pipe runs, fix pipe clips, cut pipes to length, do a few soldered joints out in the open
2) help running round a house on a powerflush (£5m house, central London)
3) help fix radiators

It doesn't take a lot to be useful for that sort of thing, but I did have a lad once who thought timber joists had to have wall plugs in them to take a screw for a pipe clip...

Number one requirement is honesty. As soon as I have any suspicion that it might NOT be ok to leave you with my stuff, or in a client's house, you're out. Not that I would leave you in a client's house for a good while...

I've often thought one could put a sheet of questions together, with questions like the following (off the top of my head)
Not knowing isn't too important, it just restricts scope of work.

What sizes does domestic pipe come in - copper, waste, overflow, the other waste..
How do you fix something like a heavy wall cabinet onto a plasterboard wall?
What's lath and plaster and how do you fix anything to it?
What's the thread on a 15mm compression fitting?
How does an AAV work?
WHat are the rules for notching joists?
What's the VAT on £80?
What's the slot for on a slotted basin waste?
Why do basin wastes usually leak?
How do you connect a tap flexy to a tap which has a solid copper tail?
Can you use compression fittings on gas?
What are the problems with pushfit, or endfeed connections?
WHat's a street elbow?
You're going to do some solder joints under a floor. WHat kit do you need?
WHat size SDS bit would you use for a red plug?
There's a window, there's its radiator. How do you hang the rad and how long will it take you?

Acceptable answers:
A right one - there's usually more than one
"I don't know. please help"
"I think xyz" is that OK?
"Just a mo I'll find out"
"I've used xyz before but would you agree?"
"I've done a lot of these so I'll just take care"

Unacceptable answers
"Xyz will do I'll have a go with that"
"Book says xyz but I have no clue - I'll have a go anyway"
"It doesn't matter"
"I've got xyz, it will have to do"
"Never done it but I don't see any problems so I'm starting"

If you're on my wavelength, and can do odd days, my email's in my profile. Most of the time I'm around Surbiton - Wimbledon - and west of central London

My favorite was getting them to sit down and write method statement and risk risk assessment

Should be ably tp fill an A4 easy for each part

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back