Anyone Need a Plumbers Mate?

im not knocking you at all mate , get as much training as you can while looking for work is all i can advise really , training gets harder to attend while working and these days it goes by what certs you have to show but the experience is more important imo its a catch 22 situation , but if you have age on your side its easier good luck thou (y)

Sponsored Links
Cheers AGAS - I fully agree with you, I'm certainly a long way off being an expert and only experience will get me there. I'm going to try and cram in as much training over the next few weeks whilst I'm on my notice period, then get out into the real world. Just need to find someone that will take me on, even if a couple of days a week.

Do as much as you can for friends and family, at 'special' rates! This'll give you some experience, confidence, references and photos for further work. If you're capable, take on handyman work as this also gives you a foot in the door with future contacts for when they need plumbing work done!
Where are you located?
Best luck...

Thanks, yeah I've done a few tap changes etc, my sister wants her bathroom done, my dad wants a new boiler (I can't do this on my own obviously). Got a number of other bathroom/cloakroom jobs lined up with friends or family that I can take my time on and build my confidence up. I'm in Bromley, Kent.

Sponsored Links
That's great!
Even though you can 'take your time' on those jobs, try and set yourself timed targets for various tasks within those jobs and see how you get on... This is something you can't learn at college.
Also, number one rule at any job: first find out how to shut the water of to the property and check that it works!! :sneaky:

And that the PLI covers you for working in a loft - small print usually says you're only covered for 1st floor or 5/6 metres as standard!

Your dad's boiler change will require a powerflush - maybe get yourself a kit and offer a flushing service. I think you could do it cheaper than BG.;)

That is true Nige! We did touch on power flushing on Level 2 but nothing practical based - is it difficult (ie: will I need training?) and how much are the kits?

As a starter you could hire a Kamco flusher from Jewsons on a daily basis just to see how things go. About £50 a day.

Then commit to your own kit if enough work is forthcoming.

Good luck - wish I had your energy levels!

That is true Nige! We did touch on power flushing on Level 2 but nothing practical based - is it difficult (ie: will I need training?) and how much are the kits?
Powerflushing is as easy as it comes, but very very boring. I usually try catch up with paperwork etc, while Powerflushing.

Powerflushing is as easy as it comes, but very very boring. I usually try catch up with paperwork etc, while Powerflushing.

So who's running around opening and shutting all the rad valves then? :whistle::sneaky:

My advice would also be to try and be super neat even when out of sight, use copper and bends (and clips!), try to work out why things are as they are - so strip parts like taps down and have a look before you start to hate bathrooms and just work on boilers, taps and traps!

Nothing wrong with plastic in an impossible situation (dodgy stud wall split houses \ flats for example) but knowing when and when not is the key IMO.

Learn how to unblock things, easiest dough there is ;)

And, find yourself a regular trade counter and get to know them and the regulars. Maybe even offer to help out behind the counter, on Saturday mornings maybe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back