Wet beams above door...water leak? (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had a wet patch appearing on the plaster above my front door so I removed it and found that the beams are wet on their ends.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Also there is a damp patch on the wall beside the door but unsure whether they are connected...

Thanks for looking
20240309_175820[1].jpg
20240309_180524[1].jpg

Sponsored Links
richm81,
Whats in the room above the wet upper floor joists?
Where is the front door in the first pic?
Whats on the other side of the wall the wet joists go into?
Can you post pics showing outside the front door?

so so much looks like a bath or shower against the wall leaking around a wall seal above
rather than outside to inside as out to in would tend to be reverse angle where greater spread to bottom edge off joist rather than diminishing from above towards joist bottom edge

you can see where the water is coming down from the floor above...then running along....that water from above, not from the wall ingress

Sponsored Links
The door is the white bit at the bottom of the first picture...
I am attaching the outside of the door and the second picture in this reply is the upstairs bedroom above the door (door is basically where the red carpet gripper is
20240310_130413.jpg
20240310_130546.jpg
20240310_130457.jpg

Have taken a picture of the water meter readings. Will give it a few hours then check if its changed....

Unless you have a combi-boiler I don't think that will prove anything but even then it would be wetter than that if there was enough of a leak to show up on the water meter. Get your hand in with some paper towelling and see if you can find a leak that way. Or if your boiler has a pressure gauge see if it is loosing pressure.

Will have to wait until next weekend now unfortunately. Will update soon. Thanks for now.

richm81,
Thanks for the pics - what I was also looking for on the front elevation view was a pic at ground level that might show info ref the low level interior damp.
However, the elevation brickwork pic shows greenish staining that could have resulted from your blown CWI becoming wet from the leak? Damp could also have moved down the cavity to present on the plaster near the bottom stair steps?
There are bricks above the wet first floor level that also look stained so my explanation ref damp CWI might be wrong.

Wet pipes could be seen in your first pic perhaps the leaks are weeping from the sketchy looking soldering?
Or carpet grippers might be suspicious? Lift them & check nail lengths.
Lift the strip of carpet & note the length of nails used to fix it.
Use a torch & a mirror to look at the pipes .under the door threshold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back