Wet bricks in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice from you wise people.

My 1930's house was extended about 40 years ago. The chimney has bare bricks for the top few feet, with render lower down (see first photo). The extended roof level cuts across the bare bricks, so that inside the attic space, I can see the rendered chimney stack with bare bricks at the top (second photo).

When it rains, the surface of porous bricks inside the attic becomes wet to the touch. There is no visible sign of damp in the living space of the house, and the attic is well ventilated with no signs of condensation.

I've had a quote to redo the perks and flaunching to the chimney and add a water proof sealant to the outside bricks. However with the cost of scaffolding, this isn't cheap and I'm just wondering if it's necessary. It seems to me that that part of the chimney would have got wet before the extension and the bricks are getting wet and drying as they always will have. I don't know if percolation through the bricks to inside the attic is a new problem and caused by deteriorated perks that needs fixing, so long as I keep the attic well ventilated.

If be very grateful for any advice.

IMG_20240310_142639.jpg
IMG_20240310_131137.jpg

Sponsored Links
Best flashing ever!

If that roof has been built around the stack, then there is unlikely to be a DPC above the roof line so water will percolate down the brickwork.

Thank you Woody. So does that mean the internal bricks are likely to have been getting wet since the extension was built 40 yrs ago, so there is little point worrying about it now? Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back