Wet cavity insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies if this a dumb question but im new here! Im having an extension built and for a number of frustrating reasons its slow going. The project stalled for a while after the brickwork had been done and the insulation put into the cavity. Since then though, things have stalled and the rain has arrived with avengence. The water has soaked the insulation several times, the block walls and concrete subfloor are constantly wet and the first floor flooring layer (Treated chipboard) is getting wet in patches most nights.

Can anyone tell me if this will cause me long term problems? Should i be concerned? Im particularly interested in the fact that the insulation inbetween the blocks is wet - should it be replaced? Its standard cavity insulation in wool type sheets.

Any help or advice would be appreciated as im getting worried about the impact on the build.

Cheers

Gareth

Sponsored Links
The chipboard is the stuff that will be ruined.

Construction timber may warp, and if not treated might be prone to insects and decay.

Has your builder not got any polytarps?

the cavity insulation is (should be) non-absorbent of water (mine was, I had some left over in a bin in the rain, I thought it was swimming in water, i lifted it out and it was dry... not dripping, not wet, not damp.

The wet blocks will absorb water and take a few months to dry out once the roof is on. This is quite common (sadly) which is why you decorate a new house in matt emulsion so it can dry out.

The wet concrete is not a prob, new concrete is intrinsically wet.

Hi John, thanks very much for the prompt response! You made my night! And put my mind at rest :) Cheers, Gareth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back