Wet copper pipes under kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can anyone shed any light on our kitchen sink / pipes issue?

We have copper pipes under our kitchen sink which appear to get wet, almost like condensation on them. There is no obvious signs of any dripping or leak.

My question is what could be causing this? Wiping them dry, only results in the water returning on the pipes later on in the day.

The pipes & sink are on an outside wall.

Many thanks for your feedback in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is it at all damp under there or in the kitchen? Pipes can create condensation on them, it's usually on the cold though.

Hi, yes it's on the cold. And the walls appear damp. Plus we have the damp smell since we moved in 3 months ago.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this?

We shall be gutting the kitchen and fitting new cupboards in the new year.

I'm abut reluctant to do so if this wet on pipes will effect our new cupboards.

Thanks!

ok, from the sounds of it, if there are no leaks from any of the couplings or sink waste as you mentioned, then it's not the pipe that's causing the damp, something else in there is and it's condensing on the pipe. Is the sink well sealed? Water seeping down from there? If all that is dry then I'd be checking the wall itself, outside for bad pointing or somewhere moisture could be getting in.

Sponsored Links
As Rob advises should source the issue, simple cheap test would be to put some insulation on the cold feed and see if the damp continues/reduces.

Pete

Sounds like you might need a chemical damp proof course (DPC). A series of holes are drilled at the base of your external wall and a chemical pumped in which prevents water from rising up the wall.

Are you able to see the plaster behind the cupboards and is it damp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back