Wet flooring upstairs outside en-suite. EDIT Now think may be underlay deposition?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a small stain on the carpet just outside the main bedroom ensuite. It has been there a while but I finally decided to pull up the carpet, to look, and the floor boards appear wet. It seems to track quite far into the room, so I need to look further. There is nothing on the ceiling below. We bought the house 2.5 years ago. I’m worried this may have been present since then. There is underfloor heating (electric) in the ensuite, but this has never worked, and I was told this when buying. Is it possible a leak in the ensuite is causing this? The shower has a tendency to drip and splash the tiled floor if the shower doors are left open, but I wouldn’t have thought it could cause this.

I’m not sure what to do next? Is it time for insurers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
the odds are the water is coming from the shower.
maybe like you say its through leavin the shower door open - to test this idea, dry the tile floor and outside the enclosure.
run the shower as usual with the door open and stand in the hallway and observe after first lifting up the carpet underlay.if no moisture felt or seen then
then shut the door and someone operate the shower from inside the enclosure aiming the water at the edges of the enclosure frame and door. wait and watch.
it sometimes takes a few mins for water to come through.

if youve got little ones replace the carpet after the above - gripper spikes are bad news.
but eventuly replace the carpet an underlay.theyl smel.

Thanks. I will try not using the shower for a period of time and see if it goes away. If this is a shower leak would it be cover by insurance? I'm tempted to just get the whole en-suite redone as it's been on the to-do list anyway.

I still don't get why it tracks so far into the room, but nothing has shown from below.

Ok so I investigated some more. I now think it's deposition from the underlay. If you look at my initial picture you will see spots around the edge. These correspond to the pattern of the underlay. I think the diffuse patch in the centre is from pressure where people walk, so the spots have coalesced. Picture 2 shows the spots more closely in a non-traffic area. Picture 1 is from another high traffic area but a distance away from the original area. If it was a leak it would be unlikely to get this far (unless I'm unlucky and the bathroom is at it also, but then it looks dry around the grip board).

Am I correct to suspect the underlay? If so is this damaging the floor at all? I know the previous chap did stuff on the cheap so it could be terrible stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
JohnMcClane Is there any evidence of water damage on the back of the carpet ? ie black mould/spots. we can only see the back of the underlay.

That type of marking on the carpet surface looks like many i have seen in the past,could be a few reasons.

To decide if its moisture creep or a historical event on the chipboard floor,a pronged moisture/damp meter can be used.Cheap to buy a very basic meter or hire a meter also cheap (always test a known good area first).

Is there any chance water dripped from the ceiling above the stain ?

Good luck (y)

Looks like years of wear on underlay staining floor, is it actually wet ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back