Wet patch under new soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had our soffits, fascias and guttering replaced during the summer. Happy with the finished result but noticed during the recent cold spell what appeared to be a frozen icy area on the house wall, now that the temperature has risen it is clear that there is a large wet area on the brickwork but I cannot figure out what has caused it.

There are no gutters in the immediate area above the wet patch and no overflow pipes or other sources of water in the vicinity. I can't really understand why this is happening.

The work we had done is guaranteed with an insurance backed warranty so I am going to call the company in the first instance to get their opinion on how to get it fixed, but I would like some idea beforehand on what the possible cause may be so I can tell if I am being given the run around.

Would appreciate any feedback please.
IMG_20230107_114127175_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not a roofer but looks as if the dormer guttering is running onto the roof and the sheer quantity of water/flow rate is causing it to run over the edge and down the wall.
If the guttering slope was towards the front of the dormer you could fit a downpipe to the right hand side and use a shoe to guide it across a wider portion of the roof.

I'd agree. You have the main roof rainwater running into the dormer roof rainwater and the combined rainwater deflected out and over.
My roof does something similar and it's very annoying!

Sponsored Links
Personally I can't see it running over the side, There is a point where that guttering will meet the valley so that's where I would be looking.

Doesnt look like it's coming over side of tiles, looks like that wet patch goes right up to the soffit. Wonder if they've damaged a tile while doing fascia somehow.

Thanks for all the replies, I can see now what some of you mean about the damp reaching right up to the new Soffit.
I will be getting in touch with the contractor this week to see what remedial work they suggest.

Always useful to have some info beforehand so that I can at least try to look like I know what I am talking about.

Could be broken tile or possibly the lead flashing along the bottom edge of tiles on dorma has a hole or split in it. So when water flows out of gutter it then goes down the lead , it’s going to go exactly where patch is. definitly tile or Lead . I’m leaning more to the lead work damaged

Apologies for the late update on this. The roofing contractors came out last week to look at the problem and as suggested in some of the previous posts they said that they found a small area in the dormer valley that was the probable site of the water entry.

They say that it has been remedied so I will wait until the next heavy rainfall to see if the leak has been sorted.

Thanks again for everybody's contributions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back