Wet Pressure Testing & Loctite 55

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I was wondering if any one can help.

I wanted to carry out a wet pressure test using Loctite 55 to see how good it was.

I took a brand new radiator - to each of the four outlets / inlets I fitted the following :

1. bleed off port

2. radiator tail with a stop end cap

3. radiator tail with a washing machine fitting which connected on to a pressure gauge.

4. radiator tail with an isolating fitting which crossed over to another washing machine fitting ( this allowed me to use the washing machine water supply to fill the radiator )

I filled and bled the radiator using the mains pressure. The pressure came up to 4.3 bar. I bled of the air and then pressured back to 4.3 bar, where upon I closed the washing machine fitting together with isolating valve and then disconnected the mains water supply.

I left the radiator pressured up for over 30 hours. I checked over all the connections many times using light blue kitchen roll, which goes dark when it is wet and so any leeks would be easy to detect.

I struggled to find any leaks anywhere, even after multiple checks, and yet in 30 hours the pressure dropped to 3.95 bar.

Is this a fair test as I understand the maximum pressure that a domestic CH will ever see is 3 bar before the prv opens ? I also understand that the nominal dynamic pressure, when the CH is running, is somewhere between 1.5 bar and 2 bar on a sealed system.

I used Loctite 55 on all the radiators tails without any apparent issue.

However I just wanted to check - I wrapped the Loctite 55 around the first 2 or 3 threads of the radiator tail - 6 wraps in total cross wrapping the Loctite 55 over itself, rather than following the thread roots.

Is this the correct way to apply Loctite 55 to radiator tails - I appreciate that the fact that I can not find a leak suggests that it is, however as I can see a pressure drop it makes me question myself ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Dan thanks - the basic rule of PVT - pressure, volume and temperature.

Any comments about how best to apply Loctite 55 to radiator tails ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Endecotp

What did you do in the end as regards your pressure testing ?

Typical indecisive compromise - I've put the T&G floor down but not glued it. I'll revisit when I've done the next couple of rooms and am ready to connect all the new pipe to the boiler.

Many thanks - it's a pain when something is not black or white :)

if you want to do that test without the temperature making such a big difference you can always leave a small amount of air in the radiator.. Then it will absorb small volume changes in the water due to temperature (or leakage) like an expansion vessel.
But honestly, you don't have a leak, so you don't need to do that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back