Ideal Vulcan RS 55 boiler - bleeding radiators & checking system has enough water in.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Paul61766, 22 Nov 2021.

1. Paul61766

Paul61766

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, Father-in-law has an old Ideal Vulcan RS 55 boiler for his central heating. Some of his radiators are not warm all over. I was going to bleed radiators, but I know on modern boilers you can check pressure in system after doing this. But I haven't a clue with this boiler. No owner manual & no apparant instructions for regular owner checks. Any help please.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Its very likely fed from a small tank in the loft (f&e cistern) ,which replenishes the system as and when necessary.

4. Paul61766

Paul61766

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Terry, if there is such a tank in the loft, does that mean it's like a toilet cistern system, with a floatingball cock that will automatically top the system up if I bleed air out of radiators?

5. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes , exactly that.
    Rads that need bleeding are cold at the top ,is that your issue ?

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Paul61766

Paul61766

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, he has a radiator in top floor bedroom that is warmer at bottom than it is at top. So I was going to bleed it. But I know from modern systems, pressure drops in boiler but it can be easy topped up again by opening a water inlet valve to the system until the required pressure is indicated on the system pressure gauge.

8. terryplumb

terryplumb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok ,bleed it of air and system will automatically replenish if fed from F&E.

9. cross thread

cross thread

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Turn off on the clock and vent rads ,tank in the loft will replenish the water

10. Paul61766

Paul61766

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Terry for the advice. There was a tank in the loft, the ball cock mechanism had jammed & no water was going into the tank. A little pressure on the arm & system started to fill again. Bled the radiators & everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for your advice & time

• Like Like x 1