Ideal Vulcan CF55 help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I've just moved into a house with an old Ideal Vulcan CF55 boiler.

I've lit the pilot light and the boiler fires when I call for HW or CH.
I would like to be certain that the system is working (vendors say it does, and it has been serviced regularly, apparently).

Now this is going to be replaced in the next couple of months, but in the meantime I would like some hot water.

Can anyone identify for me the 4 pipes at each corner of the boiler so I can check that the water is circulating OK?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a pumped Heating & Gravity Hot Water system, there should be two large diameter pipes, and two smaller ones, if this is the case, the larger ones are hot Water, the smaller ones are Central Heating
The pump only runs when central heating is required, for hot Water, only the boiler fires, the water circulates around the hot water cylinder by "Thermo Syphon" gravity action, if the system is completely cold, the boiler may have to run for up to 1 hour to heat the cylinder, don't worry about it cutting in and out during this time, as this is normal, it would be worth checking the ball valve on the smaller of the water tanks in the loft, as if the ball valve is stuck on the small F&E tank, the system won't work, if the valve is stuck wiggle the ball valve arm up & down to free it, the tank will then refill if dry. ;)

Thanks boilerman - I managed to work it out in the end (the 28mm pipes should have made me realise sooner...), but your explanation is great.

And you were also spot-on about the ball valve in the F & E tank. The tank was empty and the valve needed a shove to get it filling again. (I actally only discoveed this when I needed to refill after I opened a bleed valve a bit (lot) too far and had a very hectic hose-attachment to make, while shouting to SWMBO to turn the main stop cock off... and after panic was over the system wasn't re-filling. I would not have thought to inspect the F&E tank otherwise).

Anyway, it's all working fine now, although I am a bit sad that something that's worked for about 30 years is going to to be binned for a combi in the next month.

Sponsored Links
Oh yes the Vulcan conti was made in the day when Men were Men......and so were the Women!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back