Wet rafters and condensation

How is everybody's loft today?
I put loads of tape over the kitchen extractor vents to make sure no leaks.
Loft is dry now, but it has been windy, so that might be why.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much dry now thanks. We're using the fan lots now and moved the washing into the wet room with the fan on

The odd thing now is, I can smell a damp funky smell in the bathroom. It's only appeared since I got strict with the fan and took the washing out. I've shoved mr muscle down the plugholes and opened the window wide.
I thought of checking under the bath for leaks but the builders sealed the bath panel on when they changed the bathroom There is a hole where the shower pipes go in and I tried sniffing to see if I could smell damp there but it just smells like dusty old floorboards, nothing like the damp smell in the bathroom.
I guess I'd better start another thread if it carries on!

Sponsored Links
I thought of checking under the bath for leaks but the builders sealed the bath panel on when they changed the bathroom
The bath panel should be removeable so you can get at the plumbing.

By the looks of it they've stuck the panel onto the wooden supports with glue or sealant. Will have another poke at it and see if I can get it off.

Just a thought (always good to explore all reasonable possibilities), but have you checked that there are no leaks on the extractor fan ducting and that it is securely fastened?

I was relaying insulation after some work and discovered that the pipe had come off from the fan at one end slightly.

After weeks of me being strict with fans etc the lo ft was bone dry when we put the decoration s back up and the rafters are dry too. That was a few days ago and I've just been up there to put up some forgotten decorations and it's wet again.
Could it be from us opening it up last week to put the other stuff up?

Bumping this as I've been up there again to find something and it's still wet.
Is it a. because we've had non-stop rain for weeks on end or b. because I keep going up there and letting the moist air in?
or a combination of the two?
I don't understand how it was dry a couple weeks ago and now it's wet again.

It shouldn't be wet in the roof space because of rain unless the roof is leaking. Lack of ventilation to the loft causes condensation. How is the roof space ventilated? Excuse me if this has all been discussed before.

There are vents in the roof. It's got a really good draught when you're in there but we haven't had hardly any wind lately.
I've never noticed this until this year. It's never happened before to my knowledge which made me wonder if I'm letting the moist air up there when I open the hatch and then it's not clearing because it's so damp outside.
It's odd how it was dry when we put the decorations up there a couple of weeks ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back