wet rafters in loft - condensation or something else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went into the loft tonight during the rain to check if my previous leak was fixed (broken tile and it appears good!) However I then noticed the rafters are wet where they touch the felt. Hasn't noticed before as I was too focused on the soaking wet purlin.

See attached photos. Is this a leak or condensation? It appears on several rafters (or at least the four I checked closest to the gable end) I scratched the wood with a nail and while it feels firm, the scratch mark quickly soaks water from the surrounding wood.

The house is a bungalow, I am thinking the only ventilation into the loft is via the soffits - do I just need to ensure they're clear for better air flow, assuming it's not another leak...

Attachments

• PXL_20231203_234749481.jpg
    PXL_20231203_234749481.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20231203_235055764.jpg
    PXL_20231203_235055764.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20231203_235052066.jpg
    PXL_20231203_235052066.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links

Thanks for the reply. My concern is it's not condensation as the beams are wet. The felt is damp, but there is no signs of water beading or actually condensing on the felt, just the wet rafters.

Condensation on the felt is most during a frosty night. It dries up after sunrise.

Sponsored Links
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on it, I'm skeptical as the loft at front of the house is dry and it's all connected. These photos were also taken last night during a rain shower at 11pm, when it was 8/9 degrees outside.

Could be built up condensation that's not had the time to dry, but it doesn't feel like condensation at a glance - it's still not dried out today and I've been in the loft clearing out insulation at the eaves, adding felt lap vents and with a desk fan adding extra airflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back