Wet Room Door Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

We have inherited a wet room in our new house that has a few nasties hiding in it- have sorted the dodgy grout, leaky loo and busted shower, next thing is the door frame.

At the base of the frame, there has obviously been some water damage from the splashback of the shower, meaning it has broken away a bit. On the part of the frame inside the room, it looks like the frame was cut to allow for the step up into the room, and two small blocks were added to plug the gap, but one of them has now fallen away (marked in red).

Then, also, the other part of the frame (marked in blue) has got wet and rotted away a bit, leaving the gap you see there.

Now, I'm not entirely sure of the best way to go about sorting these out- my first instinct was to silicone the joint between the frame and the tiles on the floor to seal the gap on the wet room floor- should I do the same on the blue bit, or does it need filling, or cutting out and replacing? Or am I worrying about a whole lot of nothing and a bit of silicone will do the job? Do I need to bother replacing the missing block on the red bit at all?

Am just a bit concerned that water will continue to get into the wood, and it will only get worse, and the rot will set in and my whole house will fall down (ok, maybe not...)

All ideas and suggestions for a relatively novice DIYer welcomed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
for that kind of shower you shouldnt have that raised floor withouta dam at the threshold an a purpose made showerdoor.
the wood door looks goodbut its water damaged like the door frame is water damaged.
the frame door stop looks to be planted maybe the frame is codged together - whats inside on the reveal it doesnt look like tile?

you could fix a shower enclosure screen that swings 180* to protect the door an frame, an folds backon the wall when not in use.some screens,google them, are narrow300mm wide or so.

protect best you can the already dmaged bits so they can dry out, keep door open for a bit. you could nock out the block and fill with sand and cement as a temp measure.

the frame door stop looks to be planted maybe the frame is codged together - whats inside on the reveal it doesnt look like tile?

Do you mean the bit that’s circled in red? That looks like two small blocks that have been put in to close the gap to the floor, differing heights because part of it goes to the step and part to the floor

no not the block. the shower side reveal to the left of the door stop.

Sponsored Links
78A3B148-5065-460F-A2BE-A5483E172B44.jpeg
no not the block. the shower side reveal to the left of the door stop.
Ah, think I’ve got you. That’s just wood down to the tile floor with a bad attempt at grouting. There’s a metal threshold strip on the step too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back