Wet room paint half nightmare help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I made a wet room. Half is wet - freestanding bath and shower, half has vanity unit toilet and, for arguments sake, is dry. I tanked the wet side - acrylic primer tanking strips tanking liquid before tiling. When tanking, i painted the primer and liquid 200-300mm into the dry half. Imagine a glass screen splitting the wall down the middle. One side wet. One side dry...here is my issue.

I'm now aware painting ontop of pva is a no go. As for acrylic primers? Seems to be just as bad? Issue is. That 200mm turned out to be the whole rest of the wall dry side..(Thanks partner) after reviewing the wide web. I could only find info about pva Issues. I decided that instead of sanding it all off!!! I bought a general multi purpose primer from toolstation. Glass plastic wood etc. I painted that on, adhered well. Smelt solvent based. I've since painted water based F&B and it has taken ok. However, I am very worried it'll start peeling.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Do I have to re-skim?
Do i have to sand all the paint off back to plaster?
I'm thinking of tiling a splash back, can I put adhesive on top of the paint-primer-acrylic primer-plaster?

Basically, is acrylic primer for tanking kits the same as pva?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
PVA is not suitable for areas subject to moisture. It re-emulsifies when wet.

On reflection... you didn't use PVA- painting over SBR, or what ever you used should be fine. The main down side is that the curing/drying time becomes much longer.

Acrylic primers (paints) are not "waterproof" (unless described as being suitable for wet rooms). The F&B should be fine provided that you don't have excessive steam.

If the splash back is just a small basin splash back, you could just coat the area with SBR (or similar and tile) over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back