Wet room shower former

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current bathroom has an 800 x 800mm shower enclosure with a plastic tray raised up on a 150mm plinth. I would like to make this take up the full space available at that end of the bathroom, this would take it up to be a 1350 x 800mm enclosure.

There is a some boxing for the soil stack in one of the rear corners that will eat in to this space by around 400 x 150mm so at this end of the enclosure it will only be 650mm deep rather than 800mm.

Due to the strange shape I was going to cut a wetroom former such as the 1300 x 800 former here: http://www.wetroomsdirect.net/ecodec.html to shape and then raise it on a plinth made of 150 x 50 timbers with an 18mm ply topper before tanking the entire area and tiling over.

When installing previous showers I have always used a mapei tanking kit and never had any problems in the years since this was completed.

My question are:
* Is Mapei still a fairly good tanking kit or is there something new and improved on the market?
* Is there a brand of shower tray former that the trade use and what sort of price should I be looking at?
* I am fairly proficient at woodwork having built various pieces of furniture and have a well stocked workshop so would I be better off just building my own former out of 4 triangles of ply which then get joint sealed and tanked? If so which waste do you buy to go with this?

Sponsored Links
Do you have any photos?
Why can't you take the shower deck flush with the floor? What reasons does it have to up on a plinth? Just wondered as it'll look much better as a level access install!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back