Wet room tray liner on timber floor - bad idea?

• Thread starter williamdjackson
  • Start date
W

williamdjackson

Hi,

Thinking of creating a walk in shower area using a wet room shower liner and then fitting a glass shower screen to enclose the area.

I'll be building the shower area on timber 1st floor and have read people saying this is not a good idea due to movement and leaks etc. My thoughts were to use waterproof board on the walls and floor along with the pre formed liner and seal all joints with one of the tape systems.

I'm a compitent diy type guy so confident I'll do a good job, but wonderd if I should stay away from this type of shower all together and just go for a standard, tried and tested tray, or if anyone has any advice to make sure it's definately water tight.

Just after peoples thoughts and experience of this type of installation.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As I see it, there is little difference between a standard low profile shower tray and a wet room type liner, only one's visible and one isn't.

Both are waterproof and both still need sealing around the trap area and perimeter of the tray be it with sealant or a flexible tape system.

Is that a bit of a simplistic view?

Can't see where they get the leaks.
I use aqua-dec and 80% of the installs are on wood floors and are ok.
You have a membrane that'll stop any leaks.

Excellent. I'll get on with it then.

Wasn't planning on using a membrane as shower tray is fully waterproof and ready for tiles, thought I'd just need to tape and waterproof joints etc?

Can you recommend a membrane? Shower area will only be 800 x 1200 max so don't need 10+ meters of it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back