Wet room tray tile cut pattern advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, currently on with my first bathroom project, and definitely first time I’ve done tiling, and all going pretty well so far to say I’m only YouTube certified. I’m about to tile my shower tray which is a wet room type tray, but it will have a fully enclosed square cubicle, as the room is too small to just have a screen. Anyhow, the question I have is does the pattern I am planning to cut the tiles look okay ? I have marked the tray in marker pen to show where the cuts will be. Any help/advice much appreciated. Thank you. Andy

IMG_5448.jpeg

IMG_5447.jpeg

IMG_5446.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Might be worthwhile to consider mosaics.

Nice job, better than some "pros".

Ultimately it's your choice!

Haha, don’t mention mosaics to me !!! That was the plan, but it was quickly turning into a disaster, and I aborted before the quick set started to go off because if it had set, it really would have been a disaster. I ended up pulling them up and cleaning the adhesive off tray. I think the mistake I made with the mosaic is that it they were 6 mm thick and my floor tiles are 10 mm. I just thought I’d easily make the difference up with a thicker bed of adhesive. However, even on the first tile I was having all sorts of problems getting the tile to sit right, I kept pulling it up to add adhesive or remove adhesive, or it wasn’t level with the floor tile…etc. But the biggest problem was that when I applied any kind of pressure to the tile, the adhesive was working it’s way into all the grout lines, and there’s no way I’d have got any grout in there. I will put it down to a big lack of experience!! Anyhow I’ve bought the tiles now, they are non slip version of my floor glazed floor tiles. And to be honest I think I will prefer the look. Not only that, I can use slow set S1 on these tiles (the mosaics said you must use rapid set) so I won’t find it as stressful. I have a large ish wet/table saw so the cuts should be easy enough, I just wanted to know if the pattern looked okay. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Haha, don’t mention mosaics to me !!! That was the plan, but it was quickly turning into a disaster, and I aborted before the quick set started to go off because if it had set, it really would have been a disaster. I ended up pulling them up and cleaning the adhesive off tray. I think the mistake I made with the mosaic is that it they were 6 mm thick and my floor tiles are 10 mm. I just thought I’d easily make the difference up with a thicker bed of adhesive. However, even on the first tile I was having all sorts of problems getting the tile to sit right, I kept pulling it up to add adhesive or remove adhesive, or it wasn’t level with the floor tile…etc. But the biggest problem was that when I applied any kind of pressure to the tile, the adhesive was working it’s way into all the grout lines, and there’s no way I’d have got any grout in there. I will put it down to a big lack of experience!! Anyhow I’ve bought the tiles now, they are non slip version of my floor glazed floor tiles. And to be honest I think I will prefer the look. Not only that, I can use slow set S1 on these tiles (the mosaics said you must use rapid set) so I won’t find it as stressful. I have a large ish wet/table saw so the cuts should be easy enough, I just wanted to know if the pattern looked okay. Many thanks
Wise choice! Many people fallen in that trap.

Ideally you could have given for a linear drain rather than this tray with those tiles but abit late now.

Lay it as well as the others and it will look good. Make.sure.to set your drain trim properly.

All the tiles on your floor should be the "non slip version of your floor glazed floor tiles"!
Thanks. Yes I did discuss this when buying the tiles. The glazed tiles will no doubt be slippery when wet (think they are R9), the shop said suitable for floor but not shower floor. There will be a few bath mats in there to stand on when getting out of the bath or the shower so I’m not too concerned. The tiles for the shower are the same but are matt finish and it states suitable for wet room. These tiles for the shower floor are also screened off from the others with a full enclosure

Wise choice! Many people fallen in that trap.

Ideally you could have given for a linear drain rather than this tray with those tiles but abit late now.

Lay it as well as the others and it will look good. Make.sure.to set your drain trim properly.
Thanks a lot Yes it’s down now, and it certainly ain’t coming back up I needed an offset drain unfortunately due to joists being in way

Happy with the result, and glad the mosaic failed, think it looks better. As it’s having a normal I cubicle think the pattern works well as the outer grout lines will be covered, and it’s a mirror image from the corner. Other than the odd grout line being slightly uneven it’s pretty much perfect. Slightly stressful using the rapid set S1 but it’s gone well.

IMG_5464.jpeg

IMG_5466.jpeg

IMG_5467.jpeg

Getting there now, I won’t show you the opposite side Slightly disappointed with the vanity unit which in a Monza unit from Victorian Plumbing (couldn’t bring myself to pay over £1k for a Villeroy & Boch). It’s nice enough and feels solid, but the sink is siliconed in place, and you cannot remove the drawers, only the drawer fronts. So access to the plumbing/waste is a nightmare if there are any issues. You have one small gap, and have to work one handed
IMG_5508.jpeg

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

Impressive.

How did you get on with installing the shower enclosure (looks like it is frameless)? Is it 8mm glass? I've just done my first shower room as well and on the final stretch now but conceded defeat in installing the last part of the enclosure and got a bathroom guy coming tomorrow to finish this bit for me.

Looks good. Very impressive. Pat yourself on the back.

I think you may be incorrect about the drawers though. I have never encountered drawers that cannot be removed.

Some have levers on the (front) underside that need to be twisted so that you can lift the front and then lift if off the rails, alternatively, they may have levers on the hinge runners that you lift up or down to pull the drawer forward and off the runner.

I have previously fitted the Hansgrohe iBox, a nice bit of kit.

Last edited:
Show pics of the underside and side of an open drawer. Some drawers are removed just by opening them and tugging the front upwards

I have previously fitted the Hansgrohe iBox, a nice bit of kit.

I fitted the conceptually similar Grohe version - 'smartcontrol' and 'rapido smartbox' in my bathroom and tbh I was quite disappointed for the money it cost - the only bit made of metal on the whole thing is the faceplate, everything else is chromed plastic. Even the valves inside are plastic.

Works well but very poor value IMO.

What's the Hansgrohe unit made of?
IMG_20230618_211122.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back