Wet Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We are working our way through the house and next is the current bathroom. It is only 3.5 sq metres and we want to rip it out and turn it into a wet room. Are they relatively easy to install. Would you tank the full room given it's size or just the shower area. I don't want to put a screen in I am thinking just putting a corner toilet in the opposite side of the room so should not get to wet, does this sound okay.
I am looking at various suppliers of the kit and it does not look to hard but maybe that's because they make it look easy
Thanks lee

Sponsored Links
We are working our way through the house and next is the current bathroom. It is only 3.5 sq metres and we want to rip it out and turn it into a wet room. Are they relatively easy to install.
It’s not rocket science but you need some basic skills, awareness of correct preparation & limitations of the products your using & to use suitable trade products; cheapo DIY stuff is generally crap.

Would you tank the full room given it's size or just the shower area.
The floor yes & minimum 200mm up the walls. For the walls it rather depends on what system you use; basically any area that is likely to be in contact with water needs to be “waterproof” but this can be achieved by using either waterproof tile backer boards (which may be required if using heavy large format tiles) or tanking MR plasterboard (not recommended by me) or brick/plaster walls. It also depends on your power shower & how much water you will be pumping into the room. On walls well away from the shower area, 200mm to 1m is usually sufficient but must be full height in the immediate vicinity of the shower area. Is your bathroom really only 3.5 sq/m? I can’t envisage how that would house a conventional bath, sink & w/c :confused: With such a small room you would be best to either tank full height or fit waterproof tile backer boards throughout.

I don't want to put a screen in I am thinking just putting a corner toilet in the opposite side of the room so should not get to wet, does this sound okay.
Installing a power shower of even average performance will probably mean the bog is going to get wet. It also depends on the shower you choose; e.g. an overhead mounted drencher head (which are my favorite) will keep things dryer than a wall mounted or multi-jet system.

I am looking at various suppliers of the kit and it does not look to hard but maybe that's because they make it look easy
Well they would do that wouldn’t they! As I said it’s not rocket science but as I posted your original thread, your questions are rather general so you need to do more research on here & with the various wet room product manufacturers. Success is also dependant on the type of walls you have, the size/type of tiles you pick & the products you use to stick them on with so you need to decide what it is you want to use in your particular case. There are many pitfalls for the inexperienced & to avoid tears/expensive mistakes you need to do some more research & come back with specific questions on things your unsure of before you commit to spending your cash. You may have seen it already but here’s a link to start you off;
http://www.diywetroom.com/products.htm ;)

Richard,
Thanks for the help, the room is that small basically it is a shower room with toilet and sink. There was another room on the 1st floor which had again another toilet sink and free standing bath. We removed this and turned that room into a spare bedroom and kept the shower room as we also put an ensuite in one of the master bedrooms so did not feel the need to have a large room with a bath.
So for this room you suggest maybe tanking all the walls upto ceiling height? Also the room will be stripped back and re plasterboarded, should i put plasterboard back on the walls or can i use those boards you talk about to to do the walls. I am looking at going for the overhead rain fall type shower heads.
Also whats the best option for the ceiling in a wetroom should it be some special paint or plasterboard?
Lee

we also put an ensuite in one of the master bedrooms so did not feel the need to have a large room with a bath.
OK; but you called it a bathroom so I assumed you were talking about an existing room. My own en-suet is only around 5.5 sq/m & I certainly wouldn’t get a bath in there!
So for this room you suggest maybe tanking all the walls upto ceiling height?
You must tank the floor & 200mm up the walls but, as I explained before, you don’t have to tank up to the ceiling only as far as the water splash will reach & if you use waterproof tile backer board in these areas you don’t need to tank; weather or not you use this or tanking plasterboard depends on your tile weight.
Also the room will be stripped back and re plasterboarded, should i put plasterboard back on the walls or can i use those boards you talk about to to do the walls.
In all honesty I would forget about using plaster board in a wet room, even MR. You will still have to tank it if you want it to last so it’s easier & cheaper to use a waterproof tile backer board & with such a small room, I would opt for that & tile straight onto it.
Also what’s the best option for the ceiling in a wetroom should it be some special paint or plasterboard?
It’s only subject to condensation so you can use ordinary plasterboard as long as it’s being plaster skimmed & painted with decent bathroom paint. If you intend just to tape & fill then you must use MR plasterboard but, also being a plasterer, I would rather grate my teeth at that as it’s really a bodge!

I cant stress enough how important it is you use quality trade materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base. Don’t be tempted by cheapo DIY shed crap which can give you problems & won’t last any length of time in a wet room.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again rich,
What wall board make and wet room materials do you use, have you any websites
Lee

aquapanel/hardie backerboards/marmox..etc,just follow mfr instructions...
staggered/taped etc..

for wetroom formers there are a few on the market..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back