Another wet room question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I know there are quite a few threads about wet rooms (which I have read) but I just wanted to get a few things clear.

I'll be making a new en suite in an extension and would like a wet room, the shower area to have a glass enclosure.

Though I am nowhere near choosing tiles yet my preference is always for large tiles. My friend has just installed some that are 1m wide, and I really like the look of them!

I'm also not interested in saving a few hundred quid, I'd rather have peace of mind and do the job right.

Could somebody please tell me

1) Layer by layer what would you put on the floor? (starting from the joists)

2) Layer by layer what would you put on the walls? Some walls will be stud partition and some will be block work.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi indus,

I know this is perhaps a little late, but still thought i would add some stuff in for you.

1) Prepare the room, clear everything out that you don't need allows you to measure properly and also identify issues.

2) If you are still keeping your floor boards down, would recommend a thin layer of Tile backer boards, allowing a flat ready to tile floor, depending on the sizes of the board would recommend using 8 screws on a board around the size 1200x600. you can also utilise a decoupling membrane ensuring and protecting the layers.

3) Again would utilise tile backer boards on the walls, super quick to install and can be installed on stud work and also concrete walls, Adding this will also give you room further thermal properties.

Using TBB also makes it very easy when you come to tanking/waterproofing the room as you just need to tape the joints and then install your wetoom former/tray

Have you got an idea of the type of wetroom former that you want to install?

fordy.

Hi indus,

I know this is perhaps a little late, but still thought i would add some stuff in for you.

1) Prepare the room, clear everything out that you don't need allows you to measure properly and also identify issues.

2) If you are still keeping your floor boards down, would recommend a thin layer of Tile backer boards, allowing a flat ready to tile floor, depending on the sizes of the board would recommend using 8 screws on a board around the size 1200x600. you can also utilise a decoupling membrane ensuring and protecting the layers.

3) Again would utilise tile backer boards on the walls, super quick to install and can be installed on stud work and also concrete walls, Adding this will also give you room further thermal properties.

Using TBB also makes it very easy when you come to tanking/waterproofing the room as you just need to tape the joints and then install your wetoom former/tray

Have you got an idea of the type of wetroom former that you want to install?

fordy.

yeah its that easy, and 8 screws per board hahahahahaha, ( did you not know the board is pre marked for the screws, also no mention that he would also have to use a flexi addy under the board ) people who have not got a clue really should not give advice.

Hi jc. I half agree with you regarding the post, but depending on the backerboard he's right about the requirements for fitting that part. No more ply state 8 screws per board, and its not fitted with flexi addy, you use solvented grab adhesive instead. Got to say it works really well!

Sponsored Links
Hi jc. I half agree with you regarding the post, but depending on the backerboard he's right about the requirements for fitting that part. No more ply state 8 screws per board, and its not fitted with flexi addy, you use solvented grab adhesive instead. Got to say it works really well!

Hi TPT, with him stating backerboard I naturally assumed he meant hardie, so in that case, if you are reading this thread fordytim mate, I apologise, I assumed, when I should not have. I should been aware of the facts first, for this I am sorry

blimey, no need to apologise! your always crack on with your advise.

Joists....min 400mm spacing..what's the span length...
Are you using a tray former if so how thick is it...this will determine the thickness off the overboard...
Or are you using a tray..40mm thick lets say???

More detail needed mate

Anyway...waterproof floor and wall membrane...ditra/homelux/durabase...ect

Walls again 400min centres...as above membrane...and build a stud wall onto the block this imo will be more secure for tiles at 1metre...

Get your plumbing all sorted before anything...pipe run ect..

Lots off more detail needed,...but have a look thro some old threads most info will be in there...some where..

Forgot to ask is this going upstairs or will it be downstairs?

Re:joists...what size/thickness are they...are they C16/C24...timber...

Sorry I haven't replied for so long, I thought the thread had gone dead. Apologies for my rudeness.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

My extension building works have just started and walls are up to first eaves.

I am making a master bedroom and ensuite (upstairs tictic). This will be formed from an existing bedroom and an extension. The section where the en suite will go is the existing house ie not extension. (1902 Edwardian)

So though the specs for any new floors reads '150x50 C16 joists @400mm' the en suite section will, as mentioned, have whatever is already there from when it was built.

I can of course upgrade this floor if needed.

I also don't know whether to use a tray former or not. A friend of mine has just had a wet room installed. The plumber/tiler who did it never used a tray former. He raised the level of the non showering part of the bathroom (with either board or ? adhesive)

Then by just using varying thickness of adhesive sloped the floor down from this level to a drain in the showering section.

Thanks again

Another issue comes to mind. The whole en suite area has the original rickety old floorboards which I'm sure are useless as a substrate for tiling in general. Would it be better to overboard these or actually throw the old floorboards out and ply straight over the joists?

Thanks

Ply the floor anytime of the week make sure to use noggings anywhere there is a joint to minimise movement

Plenty of good quality screws such as Reisser instead of nails to hold the ply down

WBP ply prefer 22mm personally

Ply the floor anytime of the week make sure to use noggings anywhere there is a joint to minimise movement

Plenty of good quality screws such as Reisser instead of nails to hold the ply down

WBP ply prefer 22mm personally

Sorry, did you mean ply over the floorboards but place noggins underneath the floorboards where there are joints?

Thanks again

Remove the Floor boards then put noggings where ever the joints of the ply floor will be into the Joists!

Over boarding is a waste of time when ever possible it is better to ply the floor and then tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back