Wet room quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to restyle our en-suite and are quite taken with the idea of making it a wet-room, however, I am not so sure about the practicality of it and I'm struggling about whether or not to stick with a shower cubicle so I'd like to ask the following questions.

It's an upstairs bedroom so the `tray` will be set onto the joists. How safe from water ingress can this be.

The room is quite small, 63" x 85", excluding the purchase price of the tiles what would be a reasonable price i would expect to pay to have this done.

Would it add value over and above that of an en-suite with a modern shower enclosure.
I'd be really grateful if someone could give me the benefit of their experience.
zorro

Sponsored Links
It's an upstairs bedroom so the `tray` will be set onto the joists. How safe from water ingress can this be.
I hope your not thinking about actually cutting into the joists? If so that’s a definite no, no & doing so could seriously weaken the floor structure. With regard to water ingress, if forming a wet room the entire floor & at least the lower half of the walls must be tanked or it’s unlikely to last long.

The room is quite small, 63" x 85", excluding the purchase price of the tiles what would be a reasonable price i would expect to pay to have this done.
You will save on the cost of a tray & shower cubicle but you have to add in the cost of a wet room tray former, flooring & tanking materials. Cost will be very much dependant on the quality of sanitary ware & fittings you chose so you need to decide what you want & get quotes to install it all but be very careful who you chose to do the work, there are a lot cowboys around.

Would it add value over and above that of an en-suite with a modern shower enclosure.
IMO it won’t make much if any difference to the property value but it could influence salability depending on the personal preference of the folks buying your property. It’s also very dependant on how well it’s been done; getting wet room to look right & last is more demanding that installing a conventional shower tray & cubicle.

Hello Richard C,
many thanks for taking the trouble to post your response, it's very much appreciated. It's clear to me by the clarity and literacy of your reply that you do know what you are talking about and you will be relieved to know that I do understand the structural significance of the floor joists. As i am in the very early stages of this project I haven't yet seen a `wet room tray`so I'm intrigued as to how the fall is achieved if the joists are level,which, of course, they should be, however, these things can be researched. I am encouraged that you haven't said that the idea of a wet room on the first floor is a non starter so I will research further and I can assure you that i will be very discriminating when it comes to choosing a reputable installer.
Again Richard , many thanks for your response as I feel it is now worth pursuing this idea a deal further.

Zorro

Have a look at Novellini trays, I've just put one in my shower room, well, am in the process of putting it in .....

Sponsored Links
putting a wet room former down is pretty easy.
were you put it add additions dwangs then lay/secure it to top of joists.
it will already have the gradient in it.
it will be either 18-22mm thick,so then lay wbp ply onto joists(secure with screws) and level with the edge of the former.
apply a floor membrane all over the floor.
apply a wall membrane to walls.
tile.
seal(if needed).
grout.
seal all corners with silicone(a quality one..dow corning etc)

get in the shower job done. ;)

you should lift all the flooring... then batten between your joists and fit ply so that the ply is level with the top of joists... otherwise you will have a 50 odd mm step up to your wet room... there is no need to tank... buy marmox or similar sheets.. fit them and then tape the joints... it is very simple and easy...

there is no need to tank.. buy marmox or similar sheets.. fit them and then tape the joints... it is very simple and easy...
Marmox is waterproof, but if you do use “similar”, be aware that some cement boards aren’t truly waterproof. They will remain dimensionally stable when wet but will still absorb moisture so it’s vital you fully tank these to avoid any possibility of moisture getting into the timber under floor & joists.

you should lift all the flooring... then batten between your joists and fit ply so that the ply is level with the top of joists... otherwise you will have a 50 odd mm step up to your wet room... there is no need to tank... buy marmox or similar sheets.. fit them and then tape the joints... it is very simple and easy...

eh....formers aint that think...50mm??.....
wbp ply then marmox?..!!!

as for tanking...well lets look into it ere...?
marmox...you have got to tape all joints (staggered)..how much is the marmox going to cost?labour costs to seal all joints?...

former layed/wbp ply level with former(secured sealed etc..)
floor membrane layed to mfr spec etc...well peice off mind springs to mind ...ere..mate.. ;)

marmox...you have got to tape all joints (staggered)..how much is the marmox going to cost?labour costs to seal all joints?...

floor membrane layed to mfr spec etc...well peice off mind springs to mind ...ere..mate.. ;)
:LOL: ;)

:LOL: ;)

;)
how you rich hope well mate... ;)

am knackered mate.... ;) ....better tell these "jocks" there is a reccsion oon..bad seplling i know mtea...ah ah lol...later bud. :D .. ;)

how you rich hope well mate... ;)

am knackered mate.... ;) ....better tell these "jocks" there is a reccsion oon..bad seplling i know mtea...ah ah lol...later bud. :D .. ;)
I’m fine M8 :LOL: . Glad to hear your busy but don’t knock it, I reckon it’s gonna come to an abrupt end in the NY. Snow must have put a kill on it the last few days though, we’ve even got a fair bit down here!

by the way.... you are no friend of mine........ do you want a professional finish or a balls up.... you should not mix ply and marmox

marmox is easier to lay than ply and is cheaper... the jointing tape is dearer but simple and requires very little labour to fix down.

how much does a tanking system cost in mats and labour and waiting for it to dry.....

and

by the way.... you are no friend of mine........ do you want a professional finish or a balls up.... you should not mix ply and marmox

marmox is easier to lay than ply and is cheaper... the jointing tape is dearer but simple and requires very little labour to fix down.

how much does a tanking system cost in mats and labour and waiting for it to dry.....

and

and......
fit ply between joists to level as joists,is this the whole floor? then marmox...
well ok...nugget...dont need anymore mates **** and it was aimed at the op NOT YOU...
back to the former etc ere...
former is what 18-22mm thick...
secure ONTOP of joists to mfr spec(this were your talking about the ply?)..

then using the same thickness of wbp ply to former sealed and secured ONTOP of joists the whole floor will be the same level(apart from the gradient in the former)..

then aplly a wall and floor tanking membrane homelux/dura/shulter etc..
and once this has been apllied you can tile fix straight away...no waiting times AT ALL...you can also lay ufh and a 2part slc if needed proir to tanking.

as for prices..well i am a tile fixer to TRADE...so get very good prices and i defo dont balls up any off my jobs at all...

now run along.......

and

and......
fit ply between joists to level as joists,is this the whole floor? then marmox...
well ok...nugget...dont need anymore mates **** and it was aimed at the op NOT YOU...
back to the former etc ere...
former is what 18-22mm thick...
secure ONTOP of joists to mfr spec(this were your talking about the ply?)..

then using the same thickness of wbp ply to former sealed and secured ONTOP of joists the whole floor will be the same level(apart from the gradient in the former)..

then aplly a wall and floor tanking membrane homelux/dura/shulter etc..
and once this has been apllied you can tile fix straight away...no waiting times AT ALL...you can also lay ufh and a 2part slc if needed proir to tanking.

as for prices..well i am a tile fixer to TRADE...so get very good prices and i defo dont balls up any off my jobs at all...

now run along.......

tictac.... you either do not know or read.... you should not use marmox and ply... please read and understand my post... if you can....the two differnt items do not work together... but as you are a tiler i am sure you are aware of the qualities of ply and a man made tray...

so you can tank a wet room and walk and work on it immediately...i think not.... marmox has even better insulating properties for under floor heating...and still cheaper a tanked ply floor...

and as to your trade prices.... what are you buying... ply or marmox if you were a professional.... you would not even entertain ply...

and as to laying under floor heating prior to tanking.... well .... i suggest that you should run along to try and catch your horse....

think you better read back ere..where i mentioned ply and marmox was in reply to your post,also read my first post to...is there mention of marmox or in my reply to you in my last.....!!!!

as for what i use, well wbp ply all thro to backerboards etc....for prices i do very well on that front so you need not get yer knickers in a twist...

catch ma horse...pmsl ere ....
were did you do your tiling course then... :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back