Wet rot or dry rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all what are your opinions on these photos, wet rot or dry rot?
Thanks in advance.
Norton
20190404_155353.jpg
20190404_155346.jpg
20190404_155331.jpg
20190404_155335.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its hard to tell as I am viewing on a 4inxh screen.

Can you slide a knife into the timber?

The white stuff in picture 1 could be a form of mold caused be condensation in the roof space due to lack of ventilation.

I will try to dig out a book I have on fungal decay and insect attack.

Tim

The timber feels strong, this was right above an extraction fan that was not ducted to outside.

Sponsored Links
Looks like white mould ... seen it loads of times in the old tenement attics with the old timbers at high humidity areas, e.g. above a bathroom extractor that hasn't been vented outside as you mention. It's not rot as such but would reckon rot could take over long term.

Looks like white mould ... seen it loads of times in the old tenement attics with the old timbers at high humidity areas, e.g. above a bathroom extractor that hasn't been vented outside as you mention. It's not rot as such but would reckon rot could take over long term.
Scrape it back and treat? Thats my plan anyway as i have to bolt 150mm timber to the side of existing

Yup, use a face mask before tackling as it can be an irritant. Was given a tip to use distilled vinegar on moulds in bathrooms etc as it soaks in wood killing the spores, bleach doesn't soak in so the mould can return.

Yup, use a face mask before tackling as it can be an irritant. Was given a tip to use distilled vinegar on moulds in bathrooms etc as it soaks in wood killing the spores, bleach doesn't soak in so the mould can return.
Ive got the cuprinol 5 star.

Thanks feel a bit better now. Out of interest wheres the salt from? The moisture from the bathroom?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back