Wet rot or dry rot?

Sponsored Links
Salts, not so sure on the wood... I've seen that where brick/mortar or sandstone leeches after a while though (efflorescence) and is usually where there are damp conditions, you can get a kind of white fuzz as the salts crystalise.
I think the extractor from the bathroom is the cause of your stuff though, which would probably be a mould, your cuprinol will sort it.

It won't affect what you are doing though.

We had that white on the old roof timbers, also the loft was full of soot from being around since the 20s.
I assume the white was either related to the old timber treatment they used to use, or dissolved from the soot that was on every surface whether it was horizontal, vertical, or even the undersides of the sloping rafters.
It wasn't an issue and was still solid and the structural engineer for the roof rebuild didn't seem concerned.

On that rafter, you need to check that there is no leak soaking the timber.

For the other white patches, check that the roof space has good ventilation generally.

Sponsored Links
The bad timber is directly above the extractor thats why its soaking.
And yes the ventilation is crap they bricked up right to the felt on the inner skin and put a few token vents through the soffit.
Im converting loft so will have to sort this out.

I had the same on a roof joist. I had been into the attic to put the extractor fan on an isolator switch and when I got up there and removed insulation, the ducting had come off the "out" end meaning warm/wet air had been entering the loft artificially.

I scraped it off, repaired the ducting and its been fine and dry since. We don't have felt though so the extra ventilation from the exposed tiles may have helped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back