Wet wall corners when heating is on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice. I’ve noticed whenever I turn my boiler on which is located upstairs, after about 20 or so minutes of it being on two of the wall corners in my living room or soaking wet to the touch. It’s the same wall this happens on at opposite ends and it’s the wall that connects us to our neighbours. Was wondering if it could be a boiler system link as this is the only time it occurs and the wall is just getting drenched?

Any help is massively appreciated,

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There may be pipes above the ceiling or buried in the wall, the pressure from the boiler pump (or gravity) triggers a pinhole leak. Check under floor boards upstairs first, the source may be some way from where the leak manifests itself.

Blup

It's also possible that the heat is evaporating water out of something due to heat, for example if pipes are embedded in a damp floor, or wet washing is draped on a radiator, and it is rising (water vapour is lighter than air) and condensing above.

To identify condensation, tape clear plastic or clingfilm tightly to the wall. If moisture appears on the room side, it is condensation from the air. If it appears on the wall side, it is damp from the wall.

It is even possible that boiler fumes or condensate are leaking inside the house.

I see you mentioned last winter

that your boiler leaks

And you have rain leaks

And you have wet walls.

And damp

And persistent damp

And more damp

Which of the suggestions from last time did you look into?

Sponsored Links
If it only happens when heating is on it is most likely the condense drain pipe from the boiler. Check underneath the boiler for a plastic pipe and see if that's where the leak is coming from. Technically, its part of the flue system so needs to be looked at by someone who is gas safe registered.

I see you mentioned last winter

that your boiler leaks

And you have rain leaks

And you have wet walls.

And damp

And persistent damp

And more damp

Which of the suggestions from last time did you look into?

Very interesting.
Not wishing to be derogatory and accusational but, I've seen some pretty extreme condensation issues in my time. I do wonder if something like this is occurring. Sometimes people just do not realise causes and effect.

Can the OP please send some wide-shot photos of the whole room?

Not always. Modern boilers have condensate traps that are easy to clean, without removing the cover.
Really, which ones? Cover from what, the boiler or the trap?

All condensate traps I've come across are connected to the base of the combustion chamber by a hose/pipe, so when the traps are emptied they are, in effect, exposing the pipe that connects to that chamber, if that isn't fitted back on correctly or the trap not filled then that could allow POC's to escape, possibly into the room if a tundish is fitted. If the condensate drain pipe is manipulated and it causes a problem with the trap connections then that could also allow POC's to escape. A DIY'er may not know this. Risk is pretty low but not 0 and would normally be cleaned when the boiler is serviced every year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back