Wet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

I intend to use wet wall panels rather than tiles to line my shower cabinet in my forthcoming shower room project. I was wondering are there any special provisions to consider?

The cubicle is currently tiled and although these are the original tiles with the house being 20 years old they all seem to be intact albeit a little grungy, hopefully indicating a dry subwall behind them.

One of the walls is the exterior wall and the other wall is plasterboard. My concerns lay with the plaster board half of the wall, can I apply the wae wall panels directly onto new plaster board or is there a special board preferred to plaster board, will this board need tanked and if so what with and thirdly what is the best product for fixing the wet wall panels to the subwall with. The store where I intend to buy the boards from have suggested that a "H" shaped extrusion be used to join the panels where they meet in the corner. Will this on its own be protection enough against water or will the corner need to be protected in some other way.

still on the shower, is it advisable to use a shower tray with upstands or are normal trays suitable.

Sorry it's so long winded, any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The guy in the shop is talking out of his hole. How can an H section make a join in a corner? The H trim is for straight joints on a flat wall. There are special profiles for internal corners, external corners, straight joints, end caps etc.

As for the tray they do have a sealing profile of their own but it looks a biot agricultural to me and its fine just to leave a gap of a few mm and fill with sealant. To fix it any hi-grab adhesive will do but use a water-resistant variety for extra piece of mind. Also remember to silicone all edges before sliding them inside trims.

Thanks folks for the advice.

The 'H' section may have been my error, we were talking about H section but it was definately an extrusion to joint the two panels in the internal corner. Will the jointing section on its own be enough for protection against water seaping through, or will the silicone sealer be enough?

I haven't recieved the panels yet so unaware of the level of manufactures instructions, just trying to get a heads up on prefered tips and methods of fitting.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I have only used it in a commercial kitchen so water tightness wasn't an issue, however the trims fit pretty tightly but i'd certainly put a good bead of silicone down the trim-panel joint.

i tend to either stud or dot/dab plasterboard, then check position of tray, then using pinkgrip or similar dot/dab wetpanels onto plasterboard...wee tip before d/dab wetpanels score the back of it with stanley were you will d/dab it so it as a key for the gripfill.

for H slots you will be givin a small tube off glue so as when you join boards to "H" you pour from top of wetpanels and the glue "should"run down the "H" slots this way you keep man.warranty but i tend to just use a "good" sillly for this, same for internal corners,shower tray etc..

also for any holecuts..shower pipes etc they have to be spot on.

Thanks Tic, just needed the reassurance from someone who has a bit more experience than me on this sort of thing. Don't want to end up having to do it all again because of water ingress.

Thanks and good luck

no probs mate, i read your op wrong i had thought you already had your wetpanels :oops:

just read and follow m.i. and it should be fine any probs come back on and am sure myself or others will be able to help with. ;)

In an attempt to save on mess and work, is it possible to apply the wet wall boards over the existing shower tiles. They are all in good condition, albeit just a little dated looking now?

Cheers

If they are sound, yes. Best ask them what their prefered primer/adhesive is though if you want the guarantee to be valid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back