Wet Wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 bed Semi, south facing wall is damp inside after extended rain.

It seems to me the water is coming in on a window for the stair landing in the middle of the wall half way up the house. Water is certainly getting in both sides of this window (another thread about that) but the pointing is shot too and I'm suspecting that might be letting water in too, maybe the cavity insulation is helping it bridge across. It's even possible that the water is coming in above the window and draining round it using it to cross the cavity, but there's no sign of damp above half way up the window so I doubt that.

Some questions:

- We're on the South Coast, but I guess it's still a bit cold for pointing. Correct?

- Our survey mentioned ferrous ties holding the two leaves of the wall together. Is a winter of damp between the two wall going to cause a problem to these?

- The wall is cavity insulated. Will it take an eternity to dry in the cavity?

- How much of the old pointing needs to come out. (Google suggests various different depths to remove.)

- Is there a power tool to get the old mortar out "easily"? (I know it still won't be easy.)

- How long should a profesional pointing the end of a 3 bed semi take to do the lot?

TIA.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back