Cavity Wall insulation and stepped footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping this is a good place to start...
I have a 1950's ex LA semi with cavity wall and a stepped footing. I have been looking into cavity wall insulation and have been advised that this isn't possible (using standard insulation materials) due to the damp course being below the stepped footing and the risk of water coming through above the step and entering the house via the damp course.

I can see the logic, but has anyone any frame of reference for this?

Apparently there are gel options that are very costly. I wondered if there were any better options?

Sponsored Links
This is extremely unusual, LA houses are built to a high standard or at least my one is. Just because the foundations "step" down a slope, the damp course follows this step and will be at least 6" above the soil level, unless some one has raised the soil level.You cannot go below the stepped footings as this will be at 12" below ground level so how could your adviser see the damp course under it. Just look for a thick mortar course which will be hiding
the damp course.
Frank

Maybe I've mis-led with the term stepped footing

At the base of the external wall here is a visible step in the brickwork of approx 4 bricks. We've had a cement fillet done on top to draw water off this away from the wall as advised by our survey

The course is applied to this level of bricks.

Does this even make sense??

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it to me, and yes in a house I had we had poly balls blown, though I can't remmember if they drilled holes through the 6 brick high plinth which did have the DPC in it.
Frank

As requested
Sorry for any misleading info previously! I'm only looking into this as BG are currently offering cavity wall insulation free and I'm trying to work out if they're wriggling out of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back