Wet walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a property which I have just detected rising damp on one wall in the kitchen (outside wall).

It has a concrete foundation and a DPM.

I don't actually think it is true rising damp (i.e. from the foundations) as I noticed that the isolation valve to the washing machine was leaking very slighty.

The property has been empty for a year so although a small drip I feel dozns of gallons of water has seeped through and hence the rising damp (detected by a damp meter).

Further evidence was when I took up two layers of lyno and old I tiles stuck down with bitumen.
There was a slight visable wetness and the tiles came up with ease as opposed the the opposite of the room the tiles are stuck down completely.

What is my best course of action? I was thinking of a de-humidifier and time to see of the problem sorts it's self-out.

Any clues to how long this could be now that winter has arrived?

Sponsored Links
I have purchased a property which has damp..........................The property has been empty for a year so

No kidding! :eek:

Get the windows open, some heating on, get rid of old carpets etc, and you will soon be saying "damp, what damp?" ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back