Wet wood around bathroom built-in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What should I do with this?
The bathroom has a built-in cupboard and long story short water on the floor flows towards the cupboard.
The cupboard door isn’t full size. So the bottom is like a wooden frame.

But yes the wood has turned black & wet. I don’t believe it’s deep in the piece of wood.

What is my best approach here?
Ideally I wouldn’t need to pull out the entire cupboard and start again because I have no experience with that.

I want to clean up the damp/rot, repaint it and prevent it from happening again in future by some sort of wood/water protection?
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Pictures would help give a clearer answer.

Is it water from the shower?

Sort out the problem with the water first. Stop it from happening. Then, you wont get the issue you have.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas?

Screenshot_20220825-102324_Gallery.jpg

....I'm really sorry, I just couldn't resist :)

...and if you do insist on having the bath so full, some spillage is going to be inevitable!

Last edited:
Pictures would help give a clearer answer.

Is it water from the shower?

Don’t allow water on the floor

Sort out the problem with the water first. Stop it from happening. Then, you wont get the issue you have.
Yes it’s supposed to be a ‘wet room’
But I’m honestly Pretty sick of it. I’ve complained multiple times to council. The water only flows to the hole if it lands in a certain area. If say a toddler is splashing water around the sink or the toilet. Then it flows past the drain/hole, directly to the door. Which may include the wooden border around the bottom of the built-in cupboard door… and obviously I don’t always notice or know it’s there.
Oh did I mention being ground floor flat, had a glug from blockage outside which included upstairs’ bath water all over my floor! Just ****ing lovely!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back