Wetroom Floor Install: Sloping Floor Concerns

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sparkle_resting_v2_1ff6f6a71f2d298b1a31.gif

Background:
My mum has a wet room that is leaking. The wet room was installed in 2019 by a builder who claimed to be a plumber. The wet room is located on the second floor of a circa 1930s terrace house.

Due to budget constraints, my mum opted to get the company to replace the floor and tiles only.

The builder replaced the previous boards with 18mm ply, added extra noggins between the joists and used a decoupling membrane (Ditra Mat). He also suggested using a shower tray in the wet area. The tiles are large format porcelain.

Mid-Project Concerns:
Last weekend, I inspected the work he had performed so far and had the following initial concerns:
  • The DITRA Mat did not extend to the wall, where there should be a 1/2-inch gap to allow for expansion.
  • There was a lack of flexible jointing tape (e.g. Kerdi Band) for waterproofing expansion joints (wall meets ceiling).
  • The contractor used a plasterer's trowel to apply thinset, rather than an appropriate sized notched trowel. This resulted in the thinset mortar not being applied evenly.
  • There were visible gaps underneath some of the tiles that had been laid.
I am concerned that these issues would eventually lead to problems with the floor in the future, such as cracked tiles, water damage and mould. I still had my doubts, however the owner of the company is providing my mum with a 2-year guarantee (instead of the usual 6 months) that he provides.

Current Issue: Sloping Floor
The installer is coming back later today to connect new taps and a toilet to the water supply and finish up.
However, I can see that the floor is sloping significantly (toilet is at the wall opposite where the shower drain is situated!!).

Questions:
Is there a general rule concerning the sloping of the floor in a wet room?
What methods are viable to ensure that the tiles at the toilet end are at least flat?area at least is flat, (shims, etc)

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 20230430_185723.jpg
    20230430_185723.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230503_115125.jpg
    20230503_115125.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230503_132739.jpg
    20230503_132739.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230503_132809.jpg
    20230503_132809.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes it is.

The grout line against the uneven toilet lid looked odd and that caught my attention...as you can see from the attached picture.

Sponsored Links
Builders are no good at wetrooms, as long as it's all been tanked and siliconed / grouted correctly it should be fine.

I've seen builders build wet rooms with zero slope at all lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back