wetroom floor

Sponsored Links
Yes, doing them on a daily basis at the moment for disabled/old people who can no longer get in and out of the bath.

What do you need to know?

Yes, doing them on a daily basis at the moment for disabled/old people who can no longer get in and out of the bath.

What do you need to know?
basically are they any good?wanted to get a plumber to install the actual tray as i need my bath and toilet moved soil pipe moved and the shower wast run under the floor then lay the floor and wall panels myself and do the tiling

also whats the best way of lifting up ceranmic floor tiles of of plywood floors please?as a couple of my tiles have lifted in the kichen which is a floating chipboard floor overlaid with ply then tiled

Sponsored Links
Re lifting tiles, have replied to your other post in Tiling.

Marmox preformed wet room floors are fine but they must be properly supported & correctly installed. You also need to take care with the rest of the floor in a wet room & avoid making basic mistakes with tiling & materials. Get it wrong & you’ll be lucky if it lasts 18 months, do it right & it should last at least 10 years, 15 years or even longer.

cheers so what do i need to be looking out for please?as my current shower i have been having greif with every 12-18 months thats why i`m doing the wetroom way hopefully anyway

Referring to your other thread is this a suspended block & beam floor the same? If so then the same applies & is why your getting so much trouble. Creating a wet room won’t make it last any longer if there is insufficient rigidity in the floor to start off with.

no its raised on a plinth its the walls that the tiles are lifting from.
how would i make the floor more rigid then please?
the bathroom is chipboard on wooden joists with a plywood top then tiled this floor is fine its the kitchen floor thats lifting
its just my shower alcove.
the other option i was thinking of was taking all the walls out of the shower and replacing them with tile backing board then tiling this would this be a better option?
just thought wetroom woulld be better as not enclosed but i will do which ever is bets and likely to work better

I wouldn't go for the tray, if wanting a wetroom take up say 1m² - 1 & 1/2m² chipboard.

Plane the joists down to give a dip in the joists, install the drain, screw plywood down to the joists (the planing should now give a dish floor). Then tile the floor.

Just an idea :)

I wouldn't go for the tray, if wanting a wetroom take up say 1m² - 1 & 1/2m² chipboard.

Plane the joists down to give a dip in the joists, install the drain, screw plywood down to the joists (the planing should now give a dish floor). Then tile the floor.

Just an idea :)
Don’t’ disagree with the joist trim but not too much. If it’s a chip floor I’d take the bloody lot up & replace it, chip of any sort is crap & not a suitable tile base; it won’t last. Size/pitch/span of joists? Replace the chip with what sort of ply? Type/thickness/fixing? Additional support, considering you’ve trimmed the joists & removed some of the strength? It's a wet room floor, what about tanking or even over boarding with Marmox? Type of tiles being used? Tiling materials?

Forming your own shower tray & WR floor from ply is cheaper & presumably acceptable for contract price elderly/care home work but is probably not a good idea for DIY or if you want it to last any length of time. Using a pre-formed tray & tanking that into the rest of a decent wet room floor is the easiest way of avoiding problems & getting somthing that will actually stand the rigours of intensive daily use; they are easier to support than ply as well!

sumo2001; so this is a suspended floor as opposed to the floating floor you have in your kitchen? Regards the shower, do you intend to maintain a separate area or create a true wet room with no walls? Any PB should be removed from wet areas & if it’s a true wet room your after, the entire room. You then have a choice of replacing with MR PB & tanking or using with a truly waterproof tile backer board (recommended for a wet room) & tiling directly over that, sealing all joints first.

Sorry that I hadn’t had time to reply to your post in detail but you get the jest of it. ;)

cheers think so will look at that website as it seems to do the lot tray and backing board for the floor and walls jointing tape etc ,will probably take up the chipboard and replace with ply
had a nother idea which i might do with a shower tray straight on floor will need to sort out costs of both and which is less likely to cause me greif!

had a nother idea which i might do with a shower tray straight on floor will need to sort out costs of both and which is less likely to cause me greif!
Be very careful, less “grief” now very often means shortcuts which, in the (not so) longer term will mean even more grief if you’re around to witness it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back