wetroom shower floor - what's correct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I've got a wetroom downstairs (nothing but concrete under it) which needs a makeover. I've had a few plumbers around and they've all given me different opinions on what should be done for the shower floor, and I'm hoping someone could give me some clarity on here as I'm not sure who to believe!

I'm in the middle of stripping the room, but have attached a photo of the old shower area which will be replaced. I've added some lines to represent:

Black line: wall to wall sliding screen like seen here
Blue line: This is the direction the floor is sloping, towards the drain
Green line: The floor slants this direction to, from the center of the room to the wall
Red line: The floor has stopped sloping at this axis by the stage, which is exactly where the door to the unit would be.

I was planning to simply have a continuously tiled floor throughout the whole thing. One plumber has said that's fine - he was a little worried that water would run out of the door in the screen as that is where the floor starts levelling out left to right (red line) but thinks itd be ok. Said using the existing drain the corner is fine.

Another plumber said we'd need to install a former tray underneath the tiles and a channel strip drain.

Another has said you could only install a tray or tank the entire room first if you want tiles.

And another has said I can use tiles but I'd have to install a channel drain along where the sliding door is so no water can run out, and just to reslope the tiles in the shower floor by digging a bit of the floor out first.

Apologies that that's a lot of info, but desperately trying to find out what to do!

Many thanks

Attachments

• wetroom1.jpg
    wetroom1.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber but personally, I would tank it and tile. Given the screen closes, its not just an opening, its downstairs and the position of the drain i wouldnt worry about the level to the right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back