Wetroom tiling/sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed an Aquadry wetroom shower tray sunk into a concrete floor so it is the same level as the floor. The shower end has two plastered walls and one glass screen. I have been advised to just tile the two walls with waterproof adhesive and grout however i'm not sure if this will be sufficient to keep all moisture out. It's on a concrete floor so no wood to worry about rotting but obviously i don't want any damp penetrating behind the wall tiles or under the shower tray.
Can anyone recommend this product as it's a lot cheaper than the proper tile boards which seem to be around 10mm thick as well which wont be as neat:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit-5kg/78484

Sponsored Links
I have just installed an Aquadry wetroom shower tray sunk into a concrete floor so it is the same level as the floor. The shower end has two plastered walls and one glass screen. I have been advised to just tile the two walls with waterproof adhesive and grout however i'm not sure if this will be sufficient to keep all moisture out. It's on a concrete floor so no wood to worry about rotting but obviously i don't want any damp penetrating behind the wall tiles or under the shower tray.
Can anyone recommend this product as it's a lot cheaper than the proper tile boards which seem to be around 10mm thick as well which wont be as neat:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit-5kg/78484[/QUOTE]

it will need tanking mate 100% i use BAL WP1 tanking kit but mapei stuff is good but never used there tanking kits

Hi Jimmy3 good to see you re-post the Tiling Forum as I suggested. Often misunderstood is that apart from expensive epoxy products, waterproof tile adhesive & grout is only waterproof” in the sense it won’t (shouldn’t) disintegrate when wet, it’s not impervious to water. This is why it’s important the tile base is truly waterproof if regular wetting is going to occur.

If constructing a wet room you should tank the lot & that includes the floor; full height for the walls in the imediate shower area but tanking to 1200mm above the floor should be OK everywhere else & that includes some tile backer boards; Wedi & Marmox are truly waterproof but Aquapanel & Hardibacker are cement based & only classified as water resistant because they will still absorb water. I also use BAL WP1; Trade Mapei is also good (Mapei Buildfix range in BNQ is not the same) but I haven't used their tanking. You also need a suitable waterproof/antibacterial mortar for the glass blocks or you’ll be growing black mould out of them before long.

Don’t skimp on the boards; if your intent on using plaster board, you should only ever use Moisture Resistant boards in a bath/shower room & tank as above, use 12.5mm boards only. In the immediate shower area, I would advise you use a tile backer board, ideally 12/12.5mm but 10mm minimum.

You should also be aware that plaster has a weight limit of 20 kg/sqm including > 4 kg/sqm for the adhesive & grout; If your thinking of using large format tiles & they weigh more than around 18 kg/sqm the plaster is not suitable & you will need to strip it or over board; boards you need will depend on your tile weight.

It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheapo own brand & DIY shed stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back