We've hit water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builder has been digging the trenches for the foundations and guess what he has discovered. A water well, shame it is near the house. Otherwise I would’ve loved to bring it back to life. Anyone else come across this? Could this cause an issue with building next to it?

Sponsored Links
You can either preserve the well and lose the building or engineer a design that will allow the well to stay....

..or, fill the well with lean mix concrete.

there is a special design of cap you can get, used a lot in old mining districts. Shaped like a mushroom where the stem goes down the shaft and prevents it caving in, and the domed top carries the burden. I think they are bought precast. They are far cheaper and less troublesome than doing a complete fill (which will settle)

Sponsored Links
There's a pub near me where they've made a feature of a well underneath it - inside, in the bar. They've put lights in and a thick glass cover so you can stand there and look down.

there is a special design of cap you can get, used a lot in old mining districts. Shaped like a mushroom where the stem goes down the shaft and prevents it caving in, and the domed top carries the burden. I think they are bought precast. They are far cheaper and less troublesome than doing a complete fill (which will settle)

the cap is already built over it with bricks. builder only broke a few bricks from the side of it. he Will reinstate the bricks before filling the trench.

There's a pub near me where they've made a feature of a well underneath it - inside, in the bar. They've put lights in and a thick glass cover so you can stand there and look down.
They have one in a boozer/brewery in Market Drayton too.

Any risk of the weight of the new building making the well to shift/break internally? Are these wells built strongly enough?

There's a Tommy Walsh programme dedicated to a well located in the living room floor of a cottage. It's an excellent done job, and worth looking up - wherever one finds old Tommy Walsh TV programmes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back