What a load of rubbish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I just get opinions on something please? Our plumber is just coming to the end of a fairly large piece of work at our house which has included uninstalling old bathroom downstairs, installing new bathroom upstairs, installing new combi boiler in loft, removing old hot water cylinder, tank and decommissioning old back boiler.

Anyway, as you can imagine this has created quite a lot of junk and debris - which is currently sitting in our back yard. We'd rather assumed he would take it with him but (in our naivity) we never really tackled the issue when we accepted the quote and he started work.

So, is it reasonable to expect him to get rid of it all or not????

Sponsored Links
Read your contract, terms and conditions etc, would not be unreasonable to expect him to remove it but there's a charge about £60 for trade waste so it would have been added to the quote or excluded in the contract

Whenever we have used trades we always make a point of asking if the costs includes taking away the old rubbish. Most do, but its always a good idea to check, as doitall says they have to pay for disposal.

i believe the "old rubbish" in the yard is yours ?...is it not ?...

he should have discussed it with you. we mention it on quotes..most of the times hire a mini skip for £55 (leicester rates)

(doing a bathroom in melton (was going to finish this friday but looks like monday now) and the cheapest we coulkd find a skip for in melton is/was £75....robbing b"£$%^^&)

Sponsored Links
You will not get a skip in this area ( s. wales valleys ) for less than £125

We pay about £25 for a licence to the council for emptying it in the local landfill :evil: :evil:

A tenner to the dustmen round my way sees the lot go in the crusher. I dislike it not being a proper service but it works!

muckin hell chris your lucky bastidian bin men round here will not lift a black bin liner here let alone abag of rubbish

Well, he didnt take the rubbish so now we're lumbered with it. As pointed out before, we should have discussed this with him at the start. Live and learn, I suppose!

To cap off another wonderful start to the week, our building inspector has told us we need to install an extractor fan in the new bathroom (apparently an openable window isnt enough?). Of course, our plumber is all too happy to come back and do this - at a rate of £50 per hour. How long do people think it will take him to do it though??? As far as I can tell, it looks relatively straight forward: hole through the wall, install the vent, wire it into the lighting circuit...

I think you would be better getting a electrician to do this as it will be up to Part P regs etc..........

Nothing's ever straightforward! Hole through the wall - a plumber will have a diamond core drill, sparkies often don't. You'll need a triple isolator as well, outside the room, I believe, which will need holes for the cable. There's no point whatsoever having an extractor fan if there's nowhere for replacement air to get in, so perhaps you'll need a gap under the door, or a vent in it.
So you need a plumber and an electrician and a chippy and a decorator. You can be foreman making sure the hole's the right size, the fan complies with the regs, the paint's the right colour, and the decorator remembers to repaint the hinges if the door's removed.
And you'll have to be in four days to let them in.

Last fan I fitted customer complained it didn't work, only got paid half the quote, bolllocks to em now let the sparkys fit em.

Is it not the case that building regs state that kitchens and bathrooms require mechanical extraction?. If so I'm surprised your builder/plumber didn't install it in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back