what a nice contract term!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at the brochure for a company that makes various childrens playground items etc, especially for local councils and schools etc. One of the conditions in their contract is that if the weather is extremly wet, dry or cold and they have to stop work, they will make an additional charge to come back and carry on with the work when the weather is better.

Is it me or is that taking the ****? I cant think of any of my customers who would swallow that

Sponsored Links
scenario ( and I don't know your trade so just an example. ):
you are a trades person doing 3-4 days work at a customers house with an apprentice..
at 10:am on the second day the local council digging up the road find an unexploded bomb and insist that the whole street be evacuated for the remainder of the day..
this means that you loose out on a days work as you've no time to shedule something else for the rest of the day and have to come back later to do that days work..
the apprentice still needs paying as it's not his fault either.
would you charge for the lost day or just swallow the loss?

I would take it on the chin, it's not your fault, but neither is it the customers. One of those things I suppose.

Always better to keep your customers happy, especially if they owe you money! Trying to get money out of non payers customers is more hassle than its worth most of the time, no?

Thankfully, i'm no longer self employed at the moment, and try not to work near bomb sites in any case :LOL:

Sam

I was looking at the brochure for a company that makes various childrens playground items etc, especially for local councils and schools etc. One of the conditions in their contract is that if the weather is extremly wet, dry or cold and they have to stop work, they will make an additional charge to come back and carry on with the work when the weather is better.

Is it me or is that taking the p**s? I cant think of any of my customers who would swallow that

I can understand not doing some work when it is extremely wet or extremely cold, but extremely dry?

Sponsored Links
never tried to dig a post hole in bone dry ground then? :)

I live in Cumbria, we dig post holes in solid rock, not like those soft Southerners who go home when its, wet, cold or dry. ;)

scenario ( and I don't know your trade so just an example. ):
you are a trades person doing 3-4 days work at a customers house with an apprentice..
at 10:am on the second day the local council digging up the road find an unexploded bomb and insist that the whole street be evacuated for the remainder of the day..
this means that you loose out on a days work as you've no time to shedule something else for the rest of the day and have to come back later to do that days work..
the apprentice still needs paying as it's not his fault either.
would you charge for the lost day or just swallow the loss?

yep you lose out on a days work, how can you charge a customer? How can you charge if you have to stop when its raining or when its snowing? How is the customer accountable for it?

I think you will find that the Local Councils' and schools' legal departments/solicitors will quickly pick up on that and negotiate the term away.

And if I'd booked a day off work, can I in return bill them for my holiday I've lost out on? I doubt they'd accept that somehow.

I think you will find that the Local Councils' and schools' legal departments/solicitors will quickly pick up on that and negotiate the term away.

depends very much on teh school and local authority. weve done work for sifferent schools. some are very hot on asking for things like public liability etc, others never ask for a thing

Sponsored Links
Back