What adhesive for worktop edging strips?

Sponsored Links
contact adhesive like evostic is great but i think you know that :) ;)

Last time I stuck some down, I used Evostick (solvent free) and it didn't stick properly. I ended up using "sticks like sh*t". I just wondered what people that fit kitchens all the time use.
Big-all, I don't ask questions if I know the answer. :p

Evo-stick is okay providing you let the glue almost dried & tacky before glueing the materials together, the other one is Thickofix which is the same as Evo-stick but it give you more movement to adjust unlike Evo-stick.

Sponsored Links
Thanks masona, I followed the Evostic instructions to the letter and it just peeled off the laminate trim. Not sure if it was cause it was the solvent free variety. I'll get a tube of Thixofix and give that a whirl.

gcol said:
Thanks masona, I followed the Evostic instructions to the letter and it just peeled off the laminate trim.
Perhaps the laminate wasn't clean or free of grease etc?

Too much glue maybe?

Unless they're now weaker because of the strong solvent smell.

masona said:
Unless they're now weaker because of the strong solvent smell.
That's what I was thinking.
I reckon it didn't help that the supplier of the work surface and trim had coiled the trim up into a tight coil. So that it tended to lift itself away before the glue could take effect. Having said that, the adhesive did just peel away from the trim like skin off a previously sunburned shoulder. :rolleyes:

gcol said:
Having said that, the adhesive did just peel away from the trim like skin off a previously sunburned shoulder. :rolleyes:
Ahhh, you may have a bit of dried skin on top in the glue tub :?:

Trust me, it wasn't that. The stuff is garbage. I used to use the regular Evostick at work (when I had a proper job) without any problems. I'm betting that it's the solvent free, health and safety product that was to blame. Twas like milk when it went off. The regular stuff was like an amber rubber colour.
You know an adhesive is good stuff when you can't get the lid off! :D

If in doubt try Evostik 528 or Tx528 (the Thixo version). Both stick like sh*t (better, in fact!). I know what you mean about curl - I try to uncurl and break-off stuff in the warm weather and flatten it out for a few hours before I need it, although my biggest problem recently has been warped worktops.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back