what adhesive to use when tiling on Marmox tile backers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set Flexible Adhesive to tile and I need another bag to complete the job. I went to the screwfix site and found a scathing review of this product. The reviewer claimed that the product is scratchy and will actually scour the surface of your glossy tiles. I haven't found this to be the case and I was wondering whether this criticism of the is justified. Should I get a different adhesive to finish the job or should i get the same one?

Sponsored Links
There is only one review & reviewer say’s they are “no stranger to tiling” but what the hell does that mean, they’ve tiled their mum’s loo as well as their own! Neither do they say what tiles were used, natural stone & unglazed polished porcelain will be far more susceptible to scratching than ceramics.

I’ve not used it personally as I stick with Ball but Mapei (trade) are top class products & there are thousands of tilers who use them every day without any problems. All cement based adhesives are abrasive but your supposed to put the adhesive between the tile & tile base not on the face of the tile. It begs the question why are they getting it on the tile face! If your getting on OK with it & had no problems, I wouldn’t worry about one review.

All cement based adhesives are abrasive but your supposed to put the adhesive between the tile & tile base not on the face of the tile. It begs the question why are they getting it on the tile face!
I was wondering about that too. Purhaps our reviewer was using the adhesive as grouting :eek:

I’ve not used it personally as I stick with Bal

I tiles part of my bathroom and I unhappy with the outcome so I removed the tiles. I tiled on Marmox tile baker boards using Makeker flex rapidset. The tiles came off clean and the adhesive is firmly stuck to the boards. So although not ideal, it looks like I will have to re-tile over the old adhesive. Is that a cardinal sin?

The Makeker flex rapidset set too quickly so I would like to get another adhesive but the question is which flexible cement base adhesive I should use? You use BAL adhesive but which of their adhesives should I go for?

Sponsored Links
I have just been researching this very subject, & the advice I have been given is:

Marmox reccomend a fast set cement based adhesive to lay the boards on. Unless your a pro tiler, use a standard set adhesive for the tile. Use only cement based adhesive in a wet room etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back