What am I doing wrong DVD will not play.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wife got me a box set of Billy Connolly to watch while recovering from Colid 19, I thought just put in the laptop DVD player and they would work, but no I get intro music, and that's all.

Tried Media Player Classic, Films & TV, Windows Media Player, but nothing except intro.

At the moment I am using a media converter to make it into MP4 format, then I hope I can play it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
VLC media player plays most things, but I tried to use it to play a DVD with an interactive menu and it did allow the buttons to be clicked.

Downloaded 'Nero DVD player' and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The reason the DVDs wouldn't play is because you did not have the right codecs installed on your computer. That's because Windows 10/11 and pretty much everything from Microsoft or Apple is a pile of junk. I get my codecs from here and I use the Media Player Classic provided.

The reason the DVDs wouldn't play is because you did not have the right codecs installed on your computer. That's because Windows 10/11 and pretty much everything from Microsoft or Apple is a pile of junk. I get my codecs from here and I use the Media Player Classic provided.

The bill for Microsoft and its PC OEM partners could be as much as $800 million per year if Windows included the required codecs.

Personally, I use the free K-Lite Codec pack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back