What am I missing?

Thanks again for the replies.

A generator would not really be practical unless it were small enough to carry by hand. Anything that needs a vehicle is simply not possible due to ground conditions and the land owner not wanting any vehicles driving across the area.

The lights will be supported on top of a decorators scaff tower housed in a "wooden hut" construction for protection. The risk of mechanical damage is minimal as the planned outlet is at head height and the cable will run up from there before running across to the tower so it should be out of anyones reach other than for a few feet next to the socket. Both extension reels are rated at 3kW fully unwound and although I don't know the wire size, they seem much thicker than others I have seen before.

For power used, 3k is the maximum we have available but I imagine 1k would suffice as a minimum although 2k is probably ideal (and 3k probably overkill).

The current plan is to have the tower in a secondary location with just the 1 lead (5om) running to it. It was suggested to me that we chain the 2 (50m + 30m) leads and I said no based on my "common sense" in the original post. I have however been unable to explain why.

I suppose I'm looking for an "Its dangerous because....<reason>" or "Its poor practice but acceptable provided <x>, <y> and <z> are adhered to".

Sponsored Links
Just say if you chain the two together you will be downrating the cable due to length and it will not be rated at 3kw anymore.

in your current plan you will need to make safe (water proof etc) the connection where the two leads are connected, also from you last post it looks like you are intending to suspend this cable, there is a minimum height for this and the cable cant be left to sopport its own weight you must hang it of a wire, and at that length i expect it will be a pain to tension.

a small generator for each light should do it with no need for vehicle to place them.

current plan includes running a rope to support the wire from.

Any idea on the minimum height? Current plan has it leaving the building at 10-12ft up rising to the tower at around 30-35ft.

Water ptoection at either end has already been considered, but I do realise we will need to sort it out for the connection if we combine the 2 leads.

Sponsored Links
How about a few lead-acid batteries and an inverter? Get down the breakers yard and find some headlights from a car/lorry ?

Just an idea...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back