What are my options for cladding and felting a new roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to work out which material to use to clad and felt a new roof on a new build house that I am currently planning...

I have to clad it but what do I use, ply, osb, sarking board? What is the difference between them?

I also have to felt (or equivalent!!!??) the roof though am not sure what material to select.

Does anyone have any advice?

The roof structure is provisionally scheduled to be:
concrete tiles
tile battens
counter battens
felt?
cladding?
attic trusses

The roof is also to be ventilated (67mm cavity above insulation between rafters) though am potentially interested in making it unventilated (I know osb wouldn't be suitable if unventilated).

The roof is to be on West coast of Scotland.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Thanks

EDIT.... Property is to be in Dunoon (on the River Clyde) in Scotland - 30 miles west of Glasgow)

Click here to see a section of the house to help know what my intentions are

Sponsored Links
You may do better to consult a local roofer. If you say which town you will be in or near someone may know local conditions.

I live on a coast where it is pretty windy (but not very cold) and yours is probably more severe. There is probably a local style, too. Here we use a peaked roof which is more common in Southern Germany and thereabouts.

Sponsored Links
Given that the house is in Dunoon, You should cover the roof with 18mm marine grade plywood as this will resist any rain that falls while covering in the roof. The plywood should be covered with 1F felt lapped. This will protect the roof while it is being tiled. Another couple of observation is due to the pitch of you roof I would recommend that the tiles come with nail holes so they can be nailed and clipped, this will stop wind up lift damaging the tiles as even small corners can lead to annoying roof leaks. Also you will be required by building control to ventilate the roof from the ridge as no airflow will reach the top of the roof this is easily done with ridge ventilation tiles. Speak to the building control as to what the airflow is required in this situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back