New roof question: OSB on top of existing fibreboard sarking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mid-80s house with a roof that is getting worn out. The roof is made from fibreboard sarking overlaid with mineral felt that is cracking in places, then a counterbatten arrangement supporting concrete tiles.

One builder suggested that, to save costs, he could remove the tiles, battens and felt but leave the existing sarking boards and then put new OSB sheeting on top (then a new membrane, battens and replace the existing tiles).

My question is whether it is OK to be putting the OSB directly on top of the existing sarking boards. On the face of it this seems reasonable but I wonder if anyone can see any problems with this?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I think to go to the extend of putting a complete new roof on your house, then not to take the extra time to strip the fibreboard off is ludicrous. It won't take much longer to strip it off and he's going to be buying OSB anyway therefore won't cost him any more money. Sounds to me like he just can't be bothered taking it off.

Thats a sign of the times when you need a new roof on a property that was only built in the mid 80s, you will need to remove the old sarkin unless yours is a detached property.

So - here's the situation.

I've been asked not to brand companies who come here and spam as liars, cheats and thieves. Apparently it is against the law to defame someone in that way, even if it is the truth.

So, I will limit my observations to baynie123, as it's not possible to defame someone who cannot be identified.

Firstly, when baynie123 registered, he agreed to the terms & conditions, one of which is no advertising. But he's gone and done just that, and he's done it in every post he has made. I do not believe that he had any intention of complying with the Ts'n'Cs he agreed to, but had every intention of spamming to get free advertising.

It is my understanding that "liar" is a reasonable definition of someone who knowingly makes a false statement in order to deceive.

Secondly, however small, and however hard to quantify, it does cost money to provide space and bandwidth for his posts, which have been made to further the interests of the website or company he his promoting, and for which he, or they, are not paying.

It is my understanding that "thief" is a reasonable description of someone who takes something belonging to another without their permission which causes them financial loss.

I leave it up to those reading this post what opinion they should have of a website or company which uses the services of a liar and a thief to promote itself - I may not comment.

Oh - and by the way - if you've not clicked on the link to the site then my advice would be to not do so, as it will run a number of 3rd party scripts on your PC. These may be innocuous, but as the site is associated with a proven liar and thief I would suggest that you do not take the chance.

Sponsored Links
You know there's an 'Alert Moderators' button don't you? Nine times out of ten this will get the spam removed. :p

Indeed, but just removing spam doesn't necessarily get the message to the perpetrators that portraying their operation as one which has liars and thieves associated with it is not a good idea.

Indeed, but just removing spam doesn't necessarily get the message to the perpetrators that portraying their operation as one which has liars and thieves associated with it is not a good idea.
No it does not but then neither does your daft rant! :mrgreen:

You are only saying that because of your incredibly severe hard-of-thinking problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back