What are my rights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry this may be in the wrong thread, but it is regarding some plastering I was due to have done but I have since asked the plasterer not to come back a short time after he started.

I have basically just bought a property (first time buyer) and asked this company to give me a quote to reboard and plaster 30m square of ceiling (in a total of 4 rooms). The quote I was given was £800.

Before the plasterer started I also had an electrician come in and do a first fix so there were 17 spot light holes in the ceilings to be plastered ( I say spotlight, i really mean holes just big enough for the cable to come through).

Anyway, the plasterer came in and started and I'd asked the company to quote some extra bits. When they quoted me they gave me prices for all the extra bits which were unreasonable plus an additional £400 for having to plaster around the holes because it was "awkward".

I have since told them to stop and that I did not want them back the next day and I would pay for what they had done so far in the 1 day they had b een there.... which was 1 man who had put up approximately 26m squared of the 30m sq. No plastering done at this stage.

The plasterer has told me for this they want £600. Is this reasonable? I priced up the plasterboard at just under £100. He has it at £180 and apparently has receipt...if he does i guess there is little i can do on that front...but that still leaves £420 for the days work!

I offered £320 based on the price of board being £100 and materials £20. Regarding the other amount.... if it is too high what are my options? Do I just say he should take me to a small claims court? The only documentation I have from him is text messages, nothing written down (cash job :( - at my request).... but even then..

As you can guess, exceptional novice who is probably learning renovation and pitfalls of cash the hard way.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This could have been avoided if you had said from the outset what you intended on doing. Absolutely despise customers who add extra bits and pieces and expect them done for nothing. To offer him £320 for a days work including mats is nothing short of cheek

im the complete opposite

£320 inc materials is not a bad days work.

Yes the cables in the way would make it awkward, but not any extra money? just push them up out the way?

i would not pay what they want at all, and im a plasterer. Let him take you too the small claims court.

If you need someone to sort the work out, om me and i can reccomend someone for you, where in the country exactly are you based?

Dont give in mate, there just angry as the ceilings have cables in now, and if you fell its unreasonable then dont pay.

brad

That would leave him with £256 once he has paid tax, then £56 once hes paid materials. take off diesel, insurance etc. Whats he left with for a hard days graft, £40??? **** that.

Sponsored Links
how on earth do you come up with that amount? So for you to skim a 6ft square ceiling, which is 20 miles from you, how would you work that out

labour
road tax
income tax
petrol
insurance
wear and tear
materials
food?

£320. Take 20% tax off = £256
Take off boards and mats (£180+£20) = £56
Take off diesel etc etc.

Thats how i worked it out anyway on the info poster provided

The first thing in your favour is that its a cash job, he wont likely take you to court imo and if he decides thats the route he'd like to take then ask him if he'd like the inland revenue to be poking through his accounts with these cash jobs going on. Stand firm with your offer, they seem to have done about 1/3 of the work although the boards cost more than the skim will.

Take off diesel etc etc.

I wouldnt have done it like that

£320 - 180 + 20 - as you dont pay 20% on materials?

£120 is what the tax should be deducted from 20% being £24 leaving £96

i understand £96 is not a good days money for what we do. But the OP said he worked out the boards at £100, so someone is taking the michael somewhere. Id ask to see the reciept for £180 for the boards.

But stick firm. If its a cash job the he won't be declaring it, so ask for a receipt so you can submit your accounts to the tax man.....

Take off diesel etc etc.

I wouldnt have done it like that

£320 - 180 + 20 - as you dont pay 20% on materials?

£120 is what the tax should be deducted from 20% being £24 leaving £96

i understand £96 is not a good days money for what we do. But the OP said he worked out the boards at £100, so someone is taking the michael somewhere. Id ask to see the reciept for £180 for the boards.

But stick firm. If its a cash job the he won't be declaring it, so ask for a receipt so you can submit your accounts to the tax man.....
Yeah I did work it at that way too. That means he would be getting about £80for a days work.

Anyway, as John says, because he has given you nothing in writing and it's a cash job then this will go in your favour IMO.

Thanks for helpful comments.

I'd have thought as it was cash in hand then he would be paying no tax on it?

I think he has a receipt for the materials so that is fair enough as long as he provides it.

As for expecting things free of charge... not at all... i would pay for anything that has changed but £400 is a lot of money to add on given the price of the initial quote.... and to start the job knowing your going to add that £400 on without telling me til after they had put the boards up....well, I find that not quite right.

I agree with you mate - he'd be lucky to get a penny from me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back