what are the best Spanners?

J

joeread

what is the most reliable and best make of spanners? im not to sure what they should be made of.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Chrome Vanadium and the best are the most you can afford. Seriously, buy what you can afford and take care of them.

Everyone knows that snap-on are the best, but I've got a 6-22mm set of chrome vaddy's from Lidl for £3.99 which so far have done everything I require of them.

I've got a halfords socket set too, the halfords professional stuff are quite good and come with lifetime guarantee. (Not entirely sure whether that's your lifetime or Halfords lifetime)

I like the Halfords pro stuff. Haven't broken anything recently but I have in the past (after extreme, scaffold pole extension bar related provocation). Just popped into the local branch for a replacement.

Sponsored Links
Snap-on are good, though expensive, (paying for the name)
I have always favoured Britool, excellent quality and not too dear.

Wotan

the other thing (you sound like you are starting out)

get a set of open-enders and a set of rings. Not a set of combination.

This is because you very often will want to undo a nut and bolt, where they both need the same size of spanner.

Forged Chrome Vanadium tools are the ones to get. Chrome plate is not at all the same thing.

I have been very happy with my Britool stuff. I have some other cheaper ones as well, and some old ex-army larger sizes.

If you're buying a socket set, consider what you want it for. Usually a half-inch drive and a not-very-large set of metric sockets will do you, and a very good-quality ratchet handle. For trucks, 3/4", for motorbikes, 3/8" but for most things, 1/2" drive. A really good 1/4" set will occasionally be very handy and is not expensive.

Don't be seduced by very large sets with several sizes of drive, and/or sockets in AF, BSW and others which unless you are working on old cars or vintage machinery you will never use. The large sets usually top up on numbers and cut down on quality. Also you have to carry the things.

Everyone knows that snap-on are the best, but I've got a 6-22mm set of chrome vaddy's from Lidl for £3.99 which so far have done everything I require of them.

I've got a halfords socket set too, the halfords professional stuff are quite good and come with lifetime guarantee. (Not entirely sure whether that's your lifetime or Halfords lifetime)

with the halfords set, would it be best to get the open ended ones because in plumbing you wouldnt usually use closed ones?

When buying socket sets go for hexagon sockets, and not bi-hexagon.

Hex sockets give a much better grip, little risk of rounding off the corners of stubborn nuts, like bi-sockets can do.

Wotan

with the halfords set, would it be best to get the open ended ones because in plumbing you wouldnt usually use closed ones?

If you're going to be using them for plumbing, don't bother buying them. I've never seen a plumber use a proper spanner, they only seem to have a couple of shifters and a pair of gland pliers. :)

Teng tools are good too.

I've got a set of spanners from B&Q with an open end and a ratchet end. They are good spanners, but I've broken the ratchet on the 8mm and 10mm through my own abuse really.

Also I have some spanners with the hinged ratchet end. These are really useful for getting in to arkward places.

_93076_190049.jpg

Bahco widejaw adjustables are excellent for plumbers.

Teng tools are good too.

I've got a set of spanners from B&Q with an open end and a ratchet end. They are good spanners, but I've broken the ratchet on the 8mm and 10mm through my own abuse really.

Also I have some spanners with the hinged ratchet end. These are really useful for getting in to arkward places.

_93076_190049.jpg

SOME Teng Tools are ok , But Rachets go quickly and the case Hardening on Pliers is generally non existant !!

Lucky

go to your nearest boot fair and have a rummage,you will be amazed what you will find and all for peanuts.

Snap-on are good, though expensive, (paying for the name)

More like you're paying for the goverments high rate of inport duty on tools! so it's price of spanner+inport duty+vat=chr ching.
That said Snap-on are by far the best, so if you are going to use them day in day out, I would say they are definitly worth the money. It all depends on how much you are going to use them. Also be carefull if your looking on e bay, I've seen used snap-on stuff go for more than it costs new :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back