Cheap ratchet spanners

2scoops0406

Like possibly a lot of people who only work on their car very infrequently, I possess a pretty cheap set of spanners. You all know the ones. You get a stiff nut, and the spanner is "designed" in such a way as to slip, just as you applying maximum torque and thereby ensuring maximum injury to your hand.

Now, I'm not whinging (ok I am) 'cos I know it's my fault for not having proper quality tools, however I was looking perhaps replacing the aforementioned items, but apart from cost I don't really know what to look for. I know that quite a few pros use snap-on tools, but they are horribly expensive. Does anyone have any pointers as to what sort of things I should consider?

Sponsored Links
brit55p18x.jpg

Bought the Britool 'Master socket set' in 1967 ... All present and correct in original case, been hammered, jumped on, used as spacers to - press / ball peen hammer - bearing tracks in and out.
Case is showing some rust but not the tools ... make 'em like that and you'd drive yourself out of business !! --- 38 years coming up !! Not in everyday use but taken plenty of abuse !!
Also have set of rings and flats from same time, same maker, no rust, no splaying ... Just fit for purpose.
Mind you, that doesn't help Edward - ;)

Be-Jeezus !!
http://www.tooled-up.com/ManMicroCategory.asp?MID=BRI1&CID=40&SCID=517&MCID=2273
Would need a mortgage today !! Better move the kit into the loft from the garage I am thinking.
You do not need this type of quality / expensive stuff Edward -- Sorry I mentioned it now.

Could look at the items you tend to use in 'heavy duty mode' and buy decent 'separates' rather than a kit.
P

I have a set of draper 'expert' combination spanners which I bought at least 10 years ago and they're still going strong, having used them a fair bit, and I even levered one of the bigger ones with a length of scaffold pole which I thought would finally kill it off but it's still ok.
I would have liked to have Britool or Snap-on but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money unless I used them every day. If I had to spend £250 on a few spanners I would probably put them on the mantlepiece and polish them once a week rather than use them on a dirty engine.
I have a kamasa socket set which I got 2nd hand and that's also pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't it Snap-On tools the mechanic's only ever use? Don't know if the public can buy them or was it for the motor trade only? I think it was lifetime replacement as well. I used to see their mobile van selling the tools to the garages.

The public can buy snap on tools from the van no problem, just the second mortgage would put most off. Like masona says the warranty top notch.

broke a combination spanner hammering it on a tranny wheel nut
snap on changed it no problem
but lets be fair for what they cost they should :)

I have Britool spanners - bought them about twenty-three years ago,never had any trouble with any of them.
Bought them over a few months,well worth the money!

More recently,have bought Clarke stuff from Machine Mart - some of the finish has flaked off with use,but no other problems.
I also have a set of impact sockets that I tend to use with a breaker bar to loosen nuts,then use ordinary socket/ratchet to remove them.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it a bit more.

Crap (Isaid cr@p not rubbish!!) on cars, and plumbing tho' :(

There seems to be a lot of "badge engineering" going on in spanners as well as electric tools. Draper Expert = Halfords Pro = some others, and seem quite good.
Facom are definitely pro quality and their guarantee is even better than snap-on's. Stahlwille are very highly rated but rust eventually which is odd.

I have a full set of FACOM tooling and am very pleased with them, well made, ergonomic and guaranteed, they're still quite pricey but you get what you pay for. You can't buy direct but there are a lot of suppliers out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back