what are the gas hob knob fitting dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Cannon SP2 gas hob which has been working quite well for the last 20 years. Sadly the hob knobs are are breaking off due to wear and tear. Replacement knob costs between £20 and £24 each plus P&P !! This maybe justified if there gas hob has been long obsolete but the fittings diameter of the shaft should surely be a standard. I think my one has about 6.2mm diameter. Some gas hob knobs advertised for sale on the internet have 8mm or 0.3inches fittings for a particular brand and model Gas Hob or a universal fitting for many models. They are considerably cheaper.

Is there a set of standard shaft fitting(s) diameter for gas hob knobs in UK? If so what are they?

thank you

Sponsored Links
There are standards - lots of different ones.
The hob you have is probably 1/4 inch spindles.
This is of no use, because the diameter, height and pattern are also required.

As the hob is over 20 years old and new gas hobs can be purchased for under £100, why waste any more time over it?

hi many thanks for your reply.
The spindle is 2cm tall and 6mm wide. I think I can buy four matching knobs around £5 each from ebay. Strangely not from UK but from Australia.

My hob is well over 20years old closer to 30 years. But it is still working fine and looking new as the day it had been bought. You cannot buy one like this anywhere. 48cm depth and 84 cm wide with four large rings well spaced out. I could not bear to throw it away on account of aging plastic knobs which has survived and outlasted many other cookers. But I take your point and I do not come across this problem everyday. I have now learned something new about hob knobs.

thanks again.

Hi jaygor.
I am going to put some into production very soon, that will be made of aluminium, so they will last for ever. They will be on ebay soon.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply. I had given up hope.

I would be greatful if you could let me know a little bit more detail about the aluminium knobs, the cost and delivery and more importantly if they will fit on Cannon SP2 gas hob. Fittings described in my previous email

jaygor

Hi jaygor.

I was asked about making these knobs by a guy yesterday, as he was also have a problem getting hold of them. He contacted me because I sell a universial knob on ebay, but he needed a bigger size to fit his Cannon SP2 gas hob.
I have now drawn them up & they will go into production next week, so hopefully they will be on ebay in about a week an halfs time.

The knob will be soild aluminim, 50mm in diameter, with a 16mm shaft that fits through the hob's front plate. The shaft's hole will be 6mm & it will be locked into place with an M4 set screw (which fastens against the flat of the 'D' on the shaft).

Hope that makes sense?

I will probably be selling them for £9.99

Regards,

this sounds very encouraging and reasonable cost.
I hope you keep me posted.
Strangely I always thought Aluminium was very difficult to work with.

thanks

jaygor

Looking at the date of this thread, and the posts and posters (flameport excluded), is this for real?? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back