What are these cables coming out of the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We moved to a new flat about 6 months ago, and have finally decided to roll our sleeves up and repaint (the previous owners had all walls, skirtings, etc, lovely shades of yellow or green across different rooms...).

Moving furniture out of the living room reminded me of these cables jutting a short way out of the wall (they've been covered by the TV stand since we moved in).

I've got no clue what they are, or why they've cut them off, but not removed them completely. Does anyone have any ideas?

A flat in the same building has recently gone on sale and snooping at the pictures shows the same cables in their living room (still not attached to anything, but much longer and bundled up).

Sponsored Links
Any pictures, or a description what they look like.........................................?

Sponsored Links
It is an outside wall yeah. TV/Sky would make sense - never considered it because we've never had Sky, and probably never will haha.

I'll just leave them covered up for the next owners. Thanks!

They are too short to do anything with, if you wanted to cut them off, and fill.

They can be extended with the right connectors. Don't cut them off because the next occupier may want to extend them.

If its a ground floor outside wall pull them back and leave outside

That is a stupid idea. They will be exposed to the weather and filled with water next time it rains.

Well obviously you would cap them off safely , they could well be connected to a communal system, a stupid idea would be living with them unsitely for years in case a future tenant wants them

They are covered by a TV stand so not an unsightly problem. If taken outside seal them with self amalgamating tape.

Yes they look like coax cables, we years ago had Sky fitted, there was a problem with the dish, so we said either fix it or we will cancel sky, they opted to fix it, so guy came and said not permitted to work on that dish I would need to stand on your kitchen roof, and insisted on fitting another dish in a completely different location. So that dish is still sitting at back of house I actually went and re-aimed dish as so easy to step out of window onto roof and do it, but the point is those cables will likely never be used again, if you did get Sky they will likely fit new anyway, but you should be able to see if they go to a dish, or an aerial, personally I would find out where they go and if can be used fit a proper face plate,
AP01088-40.jpg
simply as it looks better.

As next door have the same cables in the same position they are almost certainly part of a communal distribution system.

Personally I'd identify what they really are by tracing them and totally removing if appropriate, failing that I'd do one of 3 things:

1) Pull them out and tape the ends up as already mentioned and fill the hole through the wall, or
2) Tape the ends up and pull them just far enough to finish inside the wall and decorate so there are 2 dimples for future finding, or
3) Drill and plug the wall then screw a blanking plate to cover them.
35507.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back