What's best to couple mains cable inside wall to extend sckt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My living room has 4 mains wall sockets mounted about a metre high, but I want to drop them to just above the skirting board to keep them slightly out of sight as the plasterers will be skimming the whole room in a couple of weeks.
I know it's not normal practice to use some kind of coupler in the mains cable to extend the drop by a metre, but can anyone recommend what's best to use.

Sponsored Links
If I understand your question correctly (couplers???), this might be what you need on each core - the blue colour of the insulation indicates 2.5mm2 cable size
CTBUTTSLASHB.JPG

to be fitted with one of these
DVDHCR15.JPG

From http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Crimp_Lugs_and_Tools/index.htm

Is this what you mean??[/url]

make sure you seal the joint before its plastered over

Yeah i've got plenty of those which I could use, but is it safe to use them where they will be bonded over inside the old socket recess before plastering.

Sponsored Links
Yes they do.
I've thought of fitting a flush mounted blanking plate over the back plate for the plasterers to cover which should protect the join in the cable if this is ok, but I still need to make sure that whatever method I use to join the cable is safe.

In addition to the crimps, use self adhesive heatshrink,

and a hot air gun, to create double insulation as good as the cable. It is then safe to plaster over, if you must! remember no deviations from the "line of least surprise"
(fitting and straight up or along) are allowed without earthed conduit or similar to catch accidental nails. Note also that sockets below knee height (450mm?) or above shoulder height are not to be the main sockets in the room, in new build at least, this is a requirement of part M disability access.
sockets for fixed appliances, like ceiling projectors or fridges or something are not considered in the same way.
M.
mapj1_1.jpg

Good idea with the heatshrink as i've got a heat gun sat in a box doing nothing. There are 4 double sockets which are the main ones in the living room, although this is a 60's house. 3 of them won't be used for much but 1 will be used for the TV, amplifier and other AV devices.

Interesting comment about a supply for a ceiling projector though as I am planning to ceiling mount mine, but I havn't checked the current rating yet and am wondering if I can use a junction box and tap into the lighting supply for the living room lights under the bedroom floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back